Skip to main content

Recently Box held an internal hackathon, and I participated exploring the idea of creating a Rust client for the Box API.

What was I thinking?

I wanted to see what it would take to build a Rust client for the Box API.

Rust, my friends, is a powerful language designed for systems programming. It comes with a bunch of awesome features like memory safety, performance, concurrency, and developer productivity.

So, why not harness its power?

Sure, Rust may not be the easiest language to learn, but it’s like a strict teacher who won’t tolerate any errors easily.

And you know what? I’ve come to appreciate its capabilities immensely.

After working with Python for a while, I found myself yearning for a more disciplined approach, and Rust fit the bill perfectly.

Now, you might be thinking, “But wait! Box already has SDKs for C#, Java, Python, Node, iOS, and Android. Do we really need Yet Another SDK (YASDK)?”

Well, we’ve got you covered. If your favorite language isn’t on the list, you can always fall back to using the REST API directly.

But hey, we wanted to test the waters and see if Rust has any traction among developers who want to use the Box API.

So drop us a note and let us know what you think!

Here is the blog:

And a 1 minute video presentation with working code (couldn’t get the stupid AI to pronounce GIANT 😀) :

Be the first to reply!