Skip to main content

Is there a more efficient way to retrieve a BoxItem (either a Folder or File) directly by its path in Box?

Currently, my approach involves starting at the root folder and recursively scanning through the items, matching each part of the path until I reach the desired item.
For example, with the path "Logs/Ben", I start at the root, iterate through its children until I find the "Logs" folder, then iterate through its children until I find the "Ben" folder.

This method works, but it involves multiple API calls, which I believe could be optimized.
Is there a way to directly access a BoxItem using its full path, thereby reducing the number of API calls my application needs to make?

Any guidance or alternative approaches would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @ben halfon

I understand how retrieving a BoxItem directly by its path in Box is important for you. As of this moment, this is not yet possible. We would possibly take this into consideration as we periodically enhance our features and capabilities.

We would appreciate your time providing this insights in Pulse to help shape the future of Box. 😎

https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-help-shape-the-future-of-box/suggestions/48803096-direct-retrieval-of-boxitem-by-full-path
I created a feature request in Pulse for this idea 

We do appreciate your great feedback and idea! 😍