Skip to main content

Hi, when creating group with this Box API:

There are 3 options to choose from for member_viewability_level:

• admins_only - the enterprise admin, co-admins, group’s group admin

• admins_and_members - all admins and group members

• all_managed_users - all managed users in the enterprise

Also in admin UI there is Permission Setting on group page with also 3 options, but they don’t match.

When creating group with API, this is how chosen options are reflected in UI:

admins_only → Admins only

admins_and_members → Admins only

all_managed_users → Company

But I can’t figure out they way to set Permission Setting to “Group members” no matter what options I pass through API, how can I do this?

Hi @Eugene

Welcome to the forum!

You’re absolutely right, we are using different language between the administration console and the API:

The admins console:

API Docs:

So the equivalence is:

• admin_only → Admins Only

• admins_and_members → Group Members

• all_managed_users → Company

I’m not sure I understand your other question:

Assuming you’re referring to the user role within the group (admin or member) you can set that up when you manage the group users:

Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

Cheers

Hi @rbarbosa, thank you for your reply!

My question was about this:

So the equivalence is:

• admin_only → Admins Only

• admins_and_members → Group Members

• all_managed_users → Company

The problem it that it was not what was happening there. When I create group with this params:

{

"name": "test23hlk0urasdlnalkj20m93",

"member_viewability_level": "admins_and_members"

}

Permission Setting in UI of the created group will still be “Admins Only”. Also at least in UI its gonna be same if we pass “admin_only” to “member_viewability_level”. So no matter what I pass to “member_viewability_level”, it never becomes “Group Members” in UI.

But I think I figured it out, “Permission Setting” of the created group only becomes “Group Members” when I set both “invitability_level” and “member_viewability_level” to “admins_and_members” with query like this:

{

"name": "test23hlk0urasdlnalkj20m93",

"invitability_level": "admins_and_members",

"member_viewability_level": "admins_and_members"

}

If one of “invitability_level” or “member_viewability_level” is missing in the query, group will be created with “Admins Only” permission setting.

I think I am fine with this as it solves the problem, but its quiet confusing as it never mentioned in docs (or I missed it somewhere) that Permission Setting depends both on “invitability_level” “member_viewability_level” in API.

Hi @Eugene

I completely missed your point, but I see it now.

And yes, it is missing from the documentation. It may be defaulting to admin_only and then forcing the other parameter.

We’ll investigate.

Thanks for spotting this.

Cheers