Skip to main content

Can rclone be used with a free Box account? Are there any reliable instructions for setting up rclone to access Box? (I’m finding a lot of guides that do not work).

Hi @counterpoint

I think RClone used OAuth 2.0 authentication, so yes it should work.

I’m assumin you followed this doc…

Where is it failing?

Thanks. Yes, I tried to follow that, but it says to skip the first questions. However, rclone insists that they are mandatory. And the terms don’t correspond to terms used by Box. No combination I have tried works.

Thanks, I have solved the problem - my mistake. It does work. The issue is that rclone config lists possible storage options, but the early ones disappear off the top of the screen. Documentation I’ve seen showed Box as item 6, but it is now item 8. I made the wrong choice.

Awesome!

When Box terminated support for WebDav, rclone became almost the only option for Linux users.

So we are happy to help anyway we can.

They are working in enhancing the support, take a look at this post:

Is there an API to find a file by leaf name given a folder ID?

There is quite a good description on a different forum - including the task on using box.com, S3 etc. by means of rclone.  Might be worthwhile to take a look at.

Using Box.com with rclone

As we are using a large capacity on box.com for very valuable information, we sync the data with a Linux Nextcloud system. Nextcloud is used as well for Backup of box.com on a weekly base but as well for full text search of all the different - mainly PDF - files we are storing.

Works since several years now without any issues