Unable to Access Collaborative Folder

New Contributor

Unable to Access Collaborative Folder

I have received multiple invitations for collaborative folders and accepted them, but neither of them are accessible for me from my box. Is there something I'm missing here, or is this a known issue?

4 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: Unable to Access Collaborative Folder

@anisotropism,

The most common explanation for this is that the user inviting you to the collaboration folder is doing so with an email address that is different than the one you anisotropism[at]yourcompany.com is a completely different user than anisotropism[at]mail.yourcompany.com. Both may route to your inbox, but Box seems them as unique. Confirm with the person who invited you what address they invited. Does it exactly match the address you use to log in. If it does not, there are two ways you can fix this. a) You could have them invite the address you use to log in or b) You can go into your account settings and make the secondary version of your address an alias or "linked" address. You can do this in your Account Settings on the Account tab.

I hope this resolves it for you.

Regards,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
New Contributor

Thank you very much for the suggestion!
Valued Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU

Just to confirm, in your experience, emails in the form of "Johndoe[at]gmail.com" and "Johndoe[at]mail.gmail.com" are treated the same by Box? And both will successfully add a collaborator to a Box folder?

@anisotropism

Did Bob's suggestion resolve your problem? 

Box Certified Professional

@BoxUser100,

If by "treated the same by Box" you mean that they can be invited as collaborators, then yes. The important point is that they are two completely different users in Box unless you add one as a linked address to the other. For a long time at my institution, students' email domain as been username[at]umail.iu.edu while our IdP would pass to Box username[at]iu.edu (or other campus-specific domain. It was a very common occurrence for a professor or fellow student to invite their umail.iu.edu address. The user would receive the invite but when they logged into Box the resource would not be there. They were logging into a completely different account from Box's perspective. 

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Users online (371)