Trying to find some way for users to edit files with Office 365

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
New Contributor

Trying to find some way for users to edit files with Office 365

What does it take to allow users to use the grayed-out "Open" button as seen in the image below?  Most of my use, and my team's use, of Box until now has just been uploading and downloading files, but during our "maximum telework" right now, some people are wishing they could simultaneously edit documents.

I'm guessing that this button is somehow dependent on Office 365, which I believe our agency has licensed for everyone, although I've never used it.  Note that none of us has permission to install anything on our work PCs *or* our virtual desktops, although we might be able to install tools on our home PCs (but then we wouldn't have access to O365).

If users access their Box folders from within a virtual desktop environment, is there a way they can launch Office 365 and simultaneously edit a file inside Box?

(By the way, as an experiment I tried installing Box Edit on my home PC, but after an initial install and a "repair", there's still no Box application on my desktop or in the programs list.)

Thanks.

Box-dot-com file 'open in' button grayed out.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Trying to find some way for users to edit files with Office 365

By the way, I tried this myself by first logging into Outlook 365 and then in the same browser (different tab) logging into Box.  I tried this in both Chrome and MS Explorer.  The "Open" button stayed grayed out.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello @r_steer -

Thanks for posting to the Box Community!

If you are the Admin of your Box Enterprise account, review this support article for enabling Office Online for your instance. In particular, if you have enabled the setting to "Disable published apps by default" you may need to manually enable "Box for Office Online" to provide your users with access to this application.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes, I was able to manually allow Office Online, which made the "Open" button active.  That doesn't completely solve our problem, but the rest is not Box's issue -- our office blocks access to Office 365 outside of the agency network, so you can only edit the files if you're in a virtual desktop or VPN session inside the network.  (And if a user is inside the network they could be using Sharepoint for collaborative editing and wouldn't need Box!)  But that's our problem.

Thanks for the tip, @brent !