Sync for linux environment

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Sync for linux environment

Hi Team, is there no official setup for Box Sync for linux environment? I saw options only for windows & Mac. Please suggest

13 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Sync for linux environment

Hi @pravakar.

That is correct, Box Sync is not officially supported in a Linux environment.

New Contributor

Hi,

Is there any will to support Linux anytime soon ?

Best regards.

Box Employee

Hi @arnaud_m.

At this time, Linux support is not on the road map for OS we will be supporting in the future.

New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer.

New Contributor

I'm very disappointed to hear this.

New Contributor

For those coming to this thread, you can check out my github project that is trying to be a port of this:

https://github.com/jheld/diycrate

You will need a box developer account (free), to set up your oauth credentials. There is a small bit of setup required to get it going, but it is nothing more than a couple minutes at most.

I have basic upload & download working, and some copy/move functionality.

I am going to start working on real-time events (those that didn't happen on the local machine, but came from elsewhere and the local machine needs those updates).

Feel free to file issues or pull requests if you end up looking at it or using it.

Tags (1)
New Contributor

JHeld, thanks for your efforts.  I'm not a developer -- I can bearly write a very simiple bash script, so your skills are appreciated.  But I do love Linux.  (I prefer Debian derivitives).   I will take an appreciative look at what you've done.

First-time Contributor

I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that Linux is not supported.  A majority of the Box competitors currently do have Linux support.  I would not consider Box to be a corporate level product unless it can support all 3 of the majory desktop platforms that companies use.  (Windows, Linux and Mac)  2 out of 3 is just not acceptable.

First-time Contributor

With Microsoft being as agressive as they are with Windows 10, it's no wonder average users like myself are looking for an escape from their clutches.

Box should be supporting Linux, it is in no way a new OS. Otherwise Box will be left behind as well.

First-time Contributor

I'm in the IT Department at a company that has an Enterprise account with Box.  Our IT management has raised this very issue during a visit to Box headquarters.  Let me make it clear for you; the people at Box have NO intention to develop anything for Linux, and are blind to the fact that it is a widely used platform in the business world.  We've actually started looking outside the Box (pun intended) for third-party developers that are more responsive to client requests (and money).

Occasional Contributor

Please consider making a linux app. Especially if you want to penetrate the Higher Ed market. 

First-time Contributor

Please, I need Box sync for linux

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Appreciate your posts asking about Box for Linux! 

Given the level of interest, we have shared your feedback with our product executives.  We understand your enthusiasm and use cases, but with our current roadmap and priority releases, Box will not be building support for Linux clients this year. We may re-evaluate this decision in the future, but we wanted to clarify our position on this as clearly as possible.

We will keep you updated if there are any changes regarding this idea, but for now, subscribe to Box's product news for more announcements. 

Thanks for your time in the Community and sharing your feedback!