How Can I Create An Excel File that Lists all the files in a Box Folder?

Occasional Contributor

How Can I Create An Excel File that Lists all the files in a Box Folder?

I currently have a Folder that has about 2500 documents in it.  I'd like to create some sort of Database or Excel file that can be accessed that has a link to the file in the Folder that can be updated whenever there is a new document added.  I tried seeing if this was possible through a partner, but I haven't find anything in there either.

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: How Can I Create An Excel File that Lists all the files in a Box Folder?

Hi @gdiazxcm1,

Thank you for your post, that's a really interesting idea! Could you tell us more about how you would use this at your company? Maybe other people have experienced this too!

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

While I don't think that's possible with our current WebApp UI, perhaps you'd like to ask your question in the developer forum to see if this is possible with our API documentation?

Occasional Contributor

Hey well, I would like something that's a little more user friendly to search for files in that are in the folder.  I have a folder with over 10,000 files in it and growing, and I'd like something that's either a database or excel file that my group can use to more easily search for stuff, either looking by time doc was created or by file name.  Everyone finds the webUI a little too clunky, and would like to utilize something a lil better to track files. Thanks

ki2
Visitor

Dear Team, 

I have the same request than many other users. I want to extract box content through an excel sheet, how can I do that ? 

Thanks in advance

Selma

New Contributor

Hi, Just checking a year later.  Is this still not possible?  thanks

Regular Visitor

Hello Howard, 

I would like to add: it is indeed a feature that's really missing today. 

We are managing an entire library directly linked to an intranet site and we are about to migrate from the old site to a new one. We have no idea how to check and compare all the documents that have been uploaded in the old library and migrate only the ones we wish to the new one. 

To be able to extract a file would be perfect for comparison.  

Another example : extract a sheet and filter documents which are not well titled.This helps standardizing the library. Companies are struggling to find a way to better manage libraries and content so that it can be found easier. Collaborative platforms are great but without a clear processes from the very beggining of a box library, we are having a big trouble visualizing where is the error that someone made, and we often realize very late that something wasn't uploaded correctly. Therefore it can't be found and it is extremely difficult to do a proper Content Management System.

Do you have some ideas on how to help us? 

Thanks,