Feature Suggestion: Quickly run Word comparison of two versions of document

New Contributor

Feature Suggestion: Quickly run Word comparison of two versions of document

As a lawyer, I often run word "Compare"/redlines of two documents, in order to mark changes. To do this, you need two distinct files to compare - the base document and the new document. Now that Box is compiling all of my versions into one document, I don't have separately named files to compare.

The workaround is that I need to download to my local drive the most recent version, download the base version for comparison, run the redline manually, and then upload the redline back to Box. This is cumbersome.

Here is a great feature opportunity, which might not be too hard since Box already integrates Word/Office Online features: Allow people to check the box on two versions of a document within the versions window in the web app, and then run the Word comparison right from Box. It would save users like me tons of steps. Lawyers in particular use document comparison constantly, as I am sure others do too.

9 REPLIES
Regular Visitor

Re: Feature Suggestion: Quickly run Word comparison of two versions of document

I am a lawyer as well and I found this post looking for guidance on how to compare documents in box.  I need to be able to easily select two documents for comparison from a prior version.  I also want the ability to go back to an earlier version easily if I need to.  I hope Box adds this soon.

New Contributor

Another lawyer here.  If Box wants to be able to seriously compete for attorney business, compared to other document management systems, there has to be a streamlined redline process.  Since the versions add up quickly, you also need to be able to compare ANY version to another, not just the last (i.e., compare v5 to v2, not just v5 to v4). 

For transactional practices this is an absolute must have. To close a transaction with sometimes dozens of documents, using the Word features as described by the @ChicagoKen is way to time consuming. 

One way I could see this being implemented, is simply to add a feature under More Actions called "Compare Versions" and you pick which versions you want, and it spits it out as a new Word or PDF document (your choice). 

Box Employee

Hi @JBorean @ChicagoKen @guineverem

Thank you for sharing what would help you complete your work! This is an item that other users have asked about so I'll send all of your feedback to the Product team to show further support for comparing multiple versions.

We currently don't have anything inherrent to Box, but I would recommend looking into working with 3rd parties that can help. 

New Contributor

Great - thank you!

Do you know if any of those three solutions integrate with Box? Or would I
have to download each version and compare from there?
Box Employee

@JBorean You're welcome! There aren't any integrations in our Apps tab currently, so you would have to download each version and compare locally on your desktop. But it would be possible to do some custom development work to build an integration if you have the resources for that. 

Occasional Contributor

+1.  Our in-house legal team has a requirement to compare versions of documents constantly, so it's going to be difficult to get them transitioned to Box until we have a reasonable solution for this.  Hopefully the Box Dev folks are looking to add this to the roadmap.

Thanks!

Matt

New Contributor

So it has been a couple of years since your post... I am searching for a way to compare my files as well.... did you guys fix this issue or create something that works for that?  Thanks, Deana

Tags (1)
Occasional Contributor

@DeanaCyou can use Box Drive to compare two Word docs.

Since Box Drive lets you see all of your Box content via Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, the Compare function in Word works the same as if the files were saved to your computer or network folder.

Just go to Review > Compare > Compare..., navigate to the Original and Revised documents, run the compare, and then save the redline document as a new file (or new version) via Box Drive.

Of course, this still requires the two docs to be saved separately as Word still needs to point to two separate files.  The version-compare feature that the OP suggested - to compare two already-saved versions right from the Version History window in Box Web - would be awesome.

Matt

New Contributor

Thank you so much for the response...I am going to give this a try!

Users online (1,207)