Disable Collaboration Inheritance From Folder

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Disable Collaboration Inheritance From Folder

Hi,

I am creating a parent folders lets say "Sales" and added a group which has only "Viewer" access on it and it has many sub-folders. Out of which, there is one folder from which i need to remove all permissions and give a "Editor" permission to our Management group because it has more confidential data.

Now the main problem, when i remove the group which has "Viewer" permission from the confidential folder, it is removing it from entire "Sales" folder because it is inherting from it. So please help me to understand how can i disable the inheritance and make the different permmissions on sub-folders.

Thanks,

Ashish

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Re: Disable Collaboration Inheritance From Folder

Hi,

I'm new to BOX and have the same question. I just can't believe that there is no solution to that common use case as described by Ashish when managing a team folder structure. 

Hope, we can get a quick answer or at least an acceptable work around.

Thanks,

Thomas

Highlighted
New Contributor

+1

...third request for the same thing...

Anyone?

- Chris

Highlighted
New Contributor

Unfortunately, one can't disable the inheritance from the parent folder 😞

Check here:

https://community.box.com/t5/Collaboration-and-Sharing/Folder-And-Subfolder-Permissions/ta-p/157

Best,

Oliver

Highlighted
New Contributor

+1 I can't believe Box won't let us have granular permissions by folder. So frustrating... 

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

so what's the point of using box v dbox?  especially since dbox UI is so much better.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

unbelieavable you are forced to inherit permissions from parent folder! it amkes the architecture so complicated and it must not be that complicated to change this.

IT should be on Box's top priority list...

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Agree...this funcitionality is a must

Highlighted
New Contributor

Is this a recent change, as I'm sure we used to be able to do this and I have set up a project filing structure for which our entire team has viewer/uploader access, which would then be updated for each specific project within the folder for the project manager to have edit access for that folder only.  Now that no longer appears to work and if someone has edit access for a sub-folder, they now also have it for the top level folder - that can't be right!

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

How is this still an issue? - This is very basic "need to have" functionality. 

Highlighted
Box Certified Professional

This is not actually missing functionality, it's a different inheritance model than you are used to. The critical thing is to understand the model and design your folder structure to work with it. It's important to invite the fewest number of collaborators to the upper level folders (the 'admins' of the folder structure, if you will) and add people as you go down the folder structure. Once this new mindset is in place, you'll find the structure very straightforward to work with.

One of the challenges with any new technology is to understand the differences from the old technology and work with it. There will always be differences and depending on our perspective, some will be improvements, and others not so much. Understanding and adapting to the new way of doing things is key.

Not the answer you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

MaryBeth

Highlighted

I have discovered a work-around which is perhaps not intentionally available in Box. If you follow these steps, you may be able to accomplish what you're trying to do. I've done an example with wanting to have an editor at the root folder and stronger permissions (co-owner) at a lower level folder.

1. Remove collaborator as an editor from the top-level folder
2. Add collaborator as a co-owner to the second-level folder
3. Re-add collaborator as an editor to the top-level folder

You should end up with something like this in the second-level folder: 

Highlighted
New Contributor

There is no way to defend this lack of functionality. it is very hard to manage permissions the way you mentioned almost impossible in some situations. Here is one situation. I have root folder and hundreds of subfolders (about 20 level down). For all folders Financial group needs to have full permissions but some down level folders. Let's say on level 15 I have several folders that want financial group have only read permissions. What is the way to do that?

Highlighted
New Contributor

That is good solution if you have 3 folders but if you have thousands folders and if you want to assign more permission? But if you want to restrict this to access  that folder but  at the same time he needs to have permission for all other folders above.?

Highlighted
New Contributor

"This is not actually missing functionality, it's a different inheritance model than you are used to"
It sounds like you are suggesting that the idea of structuring a folder hierarchy based on the limitations of a system's security model rather than on a logical taxonomy of the subject / purpose of the documents in the folders is some clever new way of organizing data that we haven't ever considered. In actuality, it's an idea that's so absurdly counter-intuitive that unix/pc systems for chose to NOT do things that way at their inception, and have kept working that way for 40+ years to the satisfaction of all. 

I'm sure the box team has a technical justification for the break from a time-tested model of folder permissions inheritance/non-inheritance, and I'd love to hear it (though I suspect given the amount of white-space in their GUI that it has something to do with a desire to over-simplify), but they REALLY need to consider the frustrations it causes for large enterprise clients if they want to keep those clients on their platform. 

Highlighted

@szelic,

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think it will help you make the most out of Box if you understand that Box is not a file server. It has different functionality and a different folder and permission structure. The waterfall permission structure is a fundamental part of the underlying architecture of the product. It is not just something they can flip a switch and change. I am not saying don't make a feature request since this is important to you. You should. It is important to many users, because that is what they are coming from, what they are used to. My main point is that Box is different. It's not that they can't change what it is, but like with any company or product there are multiple priorities driving it. 

My organization gets a lot out of Box. Of course we have our wish lists as well. Many are stronger that 'wishes'. But we are most successful with Box when we focus on what it gives us that we didn't have before. Don't expect it to be what you may be moving from. If it were, you probably wouldn't be moving from it.

Best of luck,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Highlighted
New Contributor

My scenario is very similar however we need to completely remove users at a subfolder and keep them in the upper folders.  For example, you have the root folder then you have folder A and in A you have B and in B you have C and so on.  Let say in folder F you need to remove completely all except one user and you still need them to be in all folders E and above.  As far as I can see you can't do that.  Every time you remove the users in question from folder F they get to remove all the way up to folder A.  As soon as you add them to any folder above E they get added back to folder F as well.  We just can't tell users you have to change your whole work process and restructure everything just to do what I have explain. How are we to resolve this? 

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @Box08,

Thanks for your post in the community!

I understand that you want to know if there is a way to break the waterfall permission in a collaboration folder since you want to grant different access level to a set of subfolders. As discussed, there is no way to turn off the waterfall permission but this has been submitted as a product feature request for many and currently under consideration. If you'd like to provide your direct feedback, and cast your vote, visit our feedback site at Box Pulse here.

One solution that I could think of is to move subfolders with specialized permissions out of the parent folder. This will then allow you to set all new collaboration permissions for your collaborators.

Should any new functionality come out, we will announce it in Box Product Updates. You can subscribe on this channel, just the click the "Options" menu and choose "Subscribe" to be updated on latest Box releases. 

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Highlighted
New Contributor

@maryb wrote:

This is not actually missing functionality, it's a different inheritance model than you are used to. The critical thing is to understand the model and design your folder structure to work with it. It's important to invite the fewest number of collaborators to the upper level folders (the 'admins' of the folder structure, if you will) and add people as you go down the folder structure. Once this new mindset is in place, you'll find the structure very straightforward to work with.

The frustration that many of us are feeling in trying to get our heads around the Box folder sharing paradigm is why the creators of such thought that it would be a really good idea to invent something totally new, rather than use existing models that have been in place for decades and that people know how to work with. The Windows folder sharing scheme has been around since the mid 1990's and the Unix model since the early 1970's, to name a couple that have widespread use. Having to fit one's round head in a square box is counterproductive to easy adoption. I suppose it would be too much to wish for a "compatibility mode" setting that would allow Box to work in the fashion of one of these other systems, if desired, perhaps using a different color to indicate whether or not a folder is in native Box mode or otherwise.

My little rant over. I do see that there is some measure of access using groups. We're in the book production business and various pieces come together from the initial manuscript, to artwork for the book, to the cover design and so on. It follows a very definite and ordered process. At different stages, various departments need full access, at some point a given project-now-book will become essentially a read-only set of files for historical purposes.

Say I set up two groups for the production department, one has full editor-level access, the same people are listed in a second group that has viewer access. Can I simply change the group attached to a given folder from being accessed by the editor-level group to the viewer-level group (or the other way around, as needed), and that will change the inheritance on all subsequent folders from where I make the change, or will all the people get a new set of invites to have to rejoin a folder set each time. Say it ain't so, but I'd be amazed if it isn't.

Thanks in advance for any further reply.

Highlighted
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU wrote:

@szelic,

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think it will help you make the most out of Box if you understand that Box is not a file server. It has different functionality and a different folder and permission structure. The waterfall permission structure is a fundamental part of the underlying architecture of the product. It is not just something they can flip a switch and change.

Bob,

I appreciate your advice and candor. As a Box "newbie," it seems that the intent of it is to provide a collaborative environment for projects of either short or fairly long-term duration. My problem is that our University is bent on removing departmental servers out into the cloud, with Box the destination of choice in most cases. My particular department is involved in book publishing where we take items from proposals through finished books through various stages of development, ending up with a collection of production files from prior years at the end. To wit, our main data partition has over 29,000 folders,in some cases nested many layers deep, and with varying permissions attached to each or certainly inherited down various branches. This partition also contains over 360,000 files.

Has anyone mapped out a reasonable path on how to take the structure I've got and transmogrify it into something reasonably workable on Box? Or would you suggest that something like this, and our regular and very ordered production process would be better served in a cloud-based server where the extant permissions could be more easily mapped to? In other words, is Box a suitable environment for the sort of data and need for very controlled and restrictive permissions that we have? We're sort of being forced into a one-size-fits-all situation and I'm not 100% convinced (yet) that Box is best for these particular needs, absent an ordered migration process.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and reply.

Highlighted

We've run into similar issues migrating from shared drives to Box. We had a very complex permission model on our shared drives that didn't translate into the Box world. 

For us success was found in taking the move to Box as on opportunity to re-imagine how we do our processes (banking) in the context of using Box and its permission model.  

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Absolute Maddness the the Collaboration Inheritance. Total maddness

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yeah this is pretty disappointing. The solution to the lack of control over inheritance is to increase partitioning...which reduces the level of organization in many scenarios. Please Box team, consider allowing differing levels of permissions for subfolders. It's insane that in 2019 there would not be a way to allow users access to subfolders without providing permission to the parent folder. 

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @JPedane,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

We appreciate you sharing your use case here on how this functionality would be useful to you. I think a somewhat similar idea has been shared to our Product team to Break waterfall permissions 

is currently under consideration.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. If you'd like to provide direct feedback on new or existing product feature request, please visit Box Pulse here.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply @France_ ! I have voted on the issued you linked me to and provided a comment there as well. As my organization heavily uses Box, I sincerely hope that functionality is improved to resolve this problem soon or we will likely have to begin considering other options.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

This is a crap answer. An admin at a higher level needs to be able to create a folder assign an admin for that folder and never have anything to do with that folder again. This is simple document segmentation and security.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Hi there, 

I am having the exact same issue! I need to make a subfolder have stricter permissions other than inheriting the permissions from its parent folder. This is completely unacceptable that Box does not have this simple capability. 

Our company uses Box extensively and I will recommend them to consider other options if this is not resolved. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Wow, why did I think Box was granular at a folder and file level.  I thought that's why we switched from Dropbox.  Time to move on to something else.  See ya on the other side.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Yes to this! I dug around and found that there's a way to request features: https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-help-shape-the-future-of-box

I think this message falls under this one: https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-help-shape-the-future-of-box/suggestions/35982742-break-waterfal... which is marked "under consideration."

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

We have the same issue and I cannot believe what I am reading in that this is not a standard feature. This will destroy our entire structured filing model. I have read someone from Box admin saying Box is not a file server, then pray tell please inform me what it is as we are using it for file storage just like everyone else ?

I think the Box team needs to support standard thinking in terms of accepting standards and listening to customers feedback for key features. This is now the second shock about this system in a matter of days and I now must consider alternative solutions to Box for the new year because these basics are not supported.