Cannot edit any files "failed to validate download"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frequent Visitor

Cannot edit any files "failed to validate download"

I cannot seem to "edit with excel" or "edit with word" on my desktop. I get an error reading:

"Box Edit failed to validate the file download. Try again later"

but this error has persisted over the weekend.2017_05_08_09_35_28_Box.jpg

I need to be able to access these files...

32 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: Cannot edit any files "failed to validate download"

Hello @tedw1

I've found recently that box edit can be a little flakey.  I think it is because of the incessent updates from Microsoft and Office, but still, prone to stop working.

The only resolution I've seen is to uninstall Box Edit and then reinstall it. You can get the latest version here.

Box Certified Professional

I'm getting the same error but uninstall and reinstall is not fixing the problem. I'm seeing this on Windows 10 and 7, Chrome and Firefox. Mulitiple machines and multiple users. Edit is failing to open any file type (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.). I have another machine with an older version of Edit and it's working fine. Installed Box Tools on a computer that never had Box Tools installed before and it gives me the same error message. Version 3.3.1.1713 is the one that's giving me problems right now and I've logged a support case for this.

We also have a user experiencing this same error message as of this morning.  Have not verified version of Box Edit as of yet, but I personaly am not seeing this issue yet.  

Occasional Contributor

This happened to a subset of my users last Thursday, when Box Edit seemed to automatically update from 3.2.13.1660 to 3.3.1.1713. On 5/4, I uninstalled that version, went back to our prior installer, and it did reinstall 3.2.13.1660. 

However, as of this morning, after bootup, all of my users have found themselves updated to 3.3.1.1713, and using the prior installer checks Box.com, and downloads the 3.3.1.1713 version during install, so now I can't go back. 

The error seems to appear after the update has occurred, though what the enforced update schedule is, I don't know. If it's a dependency issue, it's unclear what it is, and online with Box support, we updated to the latest .net framework, and retried and still had the same error.

Now, all of my users are affected regardless of what browser they try to use, and get the very same pop-up window with the text "Unable to Open File. Box Edi Failed to validate the file download. Please wait a moment and try again. If the error persists, please contact your administrator."

I've opened a ticket and sent the logs from the Box Edit folder, but they are still investigating.

One thing I noticed, the new Box Edit has a new executable "Box Device Trust.exe" which 1660 didn't, and I'm wondering if what we are seeing is an authentication error.

In the logs all I'm seeing is a "No cookie found for browser (insert browser name)" during the attempts that generate the error.

Respected Contributor

@AB_at_MSR

I did notice that box edit wasn't working for me today also.  I had updated to 3.3.1.1713 yesterday and had no problems.  Today I went and downloaded the latest from box's app store - and installed it.  In my program files (w10 pro) it shows two instances of box tools - one yesterday and the other today - both with the same build.  I find that odd. 

Anyway, it worked for me.  I should also say that we use SSO with box and I am not having any authentication issues with it at all.  I have also not had a single report other than me of box edit not working.

Occasional Contributor

All of my users log on individually from their home offices, so we don't have an SSO option. 

I will try a new download though, just in case there has been an incremental update despite build number.

Box Certified Professional

We use SSO and steadily throughout today I'm getting more and more users getting the same error message when trying to Open files from Box.

Occasional Contributor

Uninstalled the currently installed 3.3.1.1713, re-downloaded, and reinstalled. 

Alas, the same error popup, and the logs still return a No Cookie was found error. 

Box Employee

Hi all,

Box Edit v3.3 introduces a security enhancement that now requires the web app (Box.com) to use cookies in order to work with Box Edit. 

Please check the following if you are hitting the error:

1. Please use a supported browser: https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Account/What-Is-The-Box-Policy-For-Browser-And-OS-Sup...

2. Check if you are using a browser mode that does not allow cookies (Chrome's Incognito mode for example)

3. Check if your browser settings are configured to not allow cookies. Cookies need to be allowed or an exception for Box should be added.  

4. Check if you have any browser extensions or plugins that may be interfering with cookies

If none of the above resolve your issue, please open a case with Box User Services for further troubleshooting. 

My apologies for any inconvenience and please let us know if you have any further questions!

Occasional Contributor

@derekzhao

Since disabling all the security & privacy extensions and settings, and making additional exceptions for Box.com for cookies still did nothing in any of my trial, I decided to see if I could garner any insight from the logs 

Occasional Contributor

Another followup, since the Box Edit executable checks the com server pipe for a new version, and automatically downloads and installs, if you block the download/install of 3.3.1 via removing write/delete permissions from the executable, the 3.2.13.1660 version remains and can properly open the pipe for the editor launch in Chromium browsers. 

It's not a resolution, but knowing that it is 3.3.1 that is causing my users' problem, and not any other dependencies or updates to windows or the browsers, does settle mymind while I hope for a broader fix.

Occasional Contributor

Another followup,

Regardless of version of Box Edit, Firefox can no longer detect Box Edit as being installed. I'm not sure how the browser queries that (whether by registry, background service, or something else), but ever since updating yesterday in the hopes that the incremental update would help pinpoint where the problem was, but at least Firefox 53.x no longer responds to either version of Box Edit on any of our machine, with or without script blocking or privacy add-ons enabled or wholly disabled.

Things to ponder.

Box Employee

Hi AB,

The web app (Box.com) attempts to detect if Box Edit is installed by making a request to https://edit.boxlocalhost.com:17223/status. This request should be received by Box Edit's Local Com Server. 

Firefox does have its own proxy settings which may impact this status request. Can you check in your Firefox Preferences > Advanced > Network > click Settings next to "Configure how Firefox connets to the Internet" > is "Manual proxy configuration" selected? 

If it is, I recommend trying "Use system proxy settings" or "No proxy" to see if that makes a difference. 

If this doesn't help, please open a case with our User Services team. We will most likely ask you to do a network capture in Firefox so we can examine the https://edit.boxlocalhost.com:17223/status request.

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor

@derekzhao

Hi Derek,

Nope, it was set to system proxy setting, and for good mesasure I gave it a shot with no proxy as well, no difference.

I've spent the last 20 years doing my best to make sure my users have the least hiccups while retaining the most privacy and security in their work environments, so I tend to shy away from putting in heavily custom settings that I can't easily talk them through on the phone.

And I will throw a case on this eventually - but it's not a major issue, since we don't generally use Firefox for our interaction with Box, but I do keep it installed so I can troubleshoot issues across multiple browsers for my users.

My bigger concern remains the core issue with 3.3 Box Edit and non-Chrome chromiun based browsers.

New Contributor

Derek, I also have just started experiencing the "Box Edit failed to validate the file download..." message in the past 3-4 days. I have the "Use system proxy settings" in Firefox. 

Any other suggestions on how to get past this error?  I can use the "Download" button, but I prefer to use the "Open with Microsoft Word (or Excel, etc).

Tags (1)
New Contributor

I am having the same issues on a staff computer running Windows 7, on both Chrome and Firefox. We have tried everything mentioned above and it still isn't solved. Any other brilliant ideas for me to try?

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

If you are still having trouble with this issue after completing the steps from Derek, then please submit a ticket to our team to help investigate your case directly.

This is specifically regarding the recent Box Edit update and Box Support will need to examine your browser setup. Thank you!

New Contributor

What is the status of the fix?  Several people have had the same problem the past few days.

New Contributor

@mafellwock Still waiting on support to get back to me. But, on the Mac computer we were able to solve the problem eventually by refreshing Firefox a couple times after a fresh install (install done with all browsers closed). On the PC computer (Win 7) nothing has fixed the issue yet. I will post again when/if a solution is found.

We are having the same issue, multiple users affected. All are using Chrome and Windows 7. No word from Box on a fix.

Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to chime back in and let this thread know what I've found, as I have gotten the 3 big browsers (IE, Chrome, and Firefox) to work.

In all cases, we are working on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Our normal browsers of choice is not one of the big three, but a Chromium-based browser that has worked flawlessly with the prior Box Edit versions.

Nonetheless, I use the other browsers for testing, or when something refuses to work with our preferred browsers.

To fix the other browsers, I reset them to default install settings - in the case of Firefox, I was able to use the Refresh Firefox feature under troubleshooting, with IE I simply forcibly reset it to defaults, and for Chrome, I installed it fresh after removing the old user directory under AppData.

Once it was completely reset to default specifications, with no add-ons, all three began working correctly. And the logs for Box Edit started showing it handing off the security cookie correctly.

In the process of re-enabling various security protocols and settings, I discovered the following additional bits.

1) Chromium-based browsers (Opera, Vivaldi, etc) continue to have the problem, because the logs show Box Edit misidentifying them as Chrome proper and putting the secutity cookie in Chrome's User Data folder, at which point the chromium-based browser doesn't have it, and can't validate properly.  

2) If you have No Script or an equivalent add-on in Firefox, even if you have allowed/trusted every conceivable box site involved in the use of Box Edit, something about the new security feature triggers No Script's ABE (Application Boundaries Enforcer), and can prevent Firefox from even seeing that Box Edit is installed. If you disable the ABE feature, the rest of the add-on functions, and allows Box Edit to function.

3) Other scipt blocking, ad-blocking, or privacy add-ons otherwise seem to work fine with the new Box Edit after I re-installed the browsers, so long as all the Box sites are set to trusted.

4) Of note, reviewing some of the logs from my initial tests showed IE or Firefox failing and it saying it was putting the authorization cookie in the Chrome folder - even if Chrome wasn't installed. It may be worth making sure through the logs that if you are using Chrome and having the problem, that it is putting the cookie in the correct Chrome User folder for the currently logged in Windows User.

Here's hoping some of that helps anyone else with this

zm3
New Contributor

This worked! I'm using Firefox on Windows 10 64 bit, and refreshing the browswer worked. Thank you for your help!

Occasional Contributor

@zm3

Happy the digging and frustration actually ends up helping others out.

After 2 months of flawless access via Box Edit, this problem was making me livid, even though I found workarounds for my users while trying to understand what was happening.

zm3
New Contributor

I absolutely understand - I have been having this problem since Monday after using Box Edit without a problem since July. I also tried several different methods to get it to work, all to no avail. I am grateful for your digging since it seemed to help more than just your users. Much appreciated, thank you again!

New Contributor

In case it is helpful for anyone else, support sent me the following information and suggested I close all instances of my browser and redownload and install Box Edit again:

Box Tools version 3.3 contains a resolution to a stop a potential attack where internet traffic on the local computer is being redirected to an unintended address. This type of attack is often referred to as "DNS spoofing" or "DNS cache poisoning”.

A fundamental and necessary part of this solution requires the use of Internet browser cookies that our web application writes when you log into a new Box session. These cookies are used by Box Edit to authenticate your request.  If Box Edit is unable to access that cookie, it will show an error.  Various circumstances outside of the control of Box may cause the cookies to become inaccessible, including using Box in incognito/private browsers.

New Contributor

Just started having the same problem today. MacOS, Firefox. The above process did not solve the problem.

New Contributor

@Illini1

Look at your preferences in Firefox under Privacy. If the history setting is set as Never Remember History, change it to Remember History, then have Firefox restart the browser. See if that works. That is what finally made a difference for us on the PC.

On the Mac, we refreshed Firefox (under the ?, Troubleshooting Info) a couple times and then it magically worked.

New Contributor

My preferences were fine. What worked for me was clearing all cookies from box.com. (There were at least three distinct addresses at box.com in my cookie cache.)

Same issue with 3.3.1713. Reinstalling does not solve the problem and I have not had issues with previous versions of Box Edit.