Can’t view a password protected spreadsheet

New Contributor

Can’t view a password protected spreadsheet

I maintain a excel spreadsheet on a MS notebook. The document is password protected. When I try to access the document on an iPad, it will not display. Just ‘sits’ there and never requests the password.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Can’t view a password protected spreadsheet

Hi @mljquinn,

Thanks for your post. Is the password protection from Excel and only this file?

Box Preview doesn't support password protected files and it is expected that the preview will not be available unless downloaded.

If you want to issue a password protection to the shared link, that is possible for users to enter the password and the preview the file shared.

New Contributor

1) Is the password protection from Excel and only this file? No, I have several excel spreadsheets that are password protected that cannot be viewed.

2) The preview will not be available unless downloaded? What do you mean by downloaded?

FYI, I used Dropbox it the past. It also had this “bug” which was corrected in an update.

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @mljquinn,

This is actually not a Bug on our end. This is a Known Limitation for Box Preview that Password protected files cannot be previewed within the Box platform. You'll need to download it to be able to preview it successfully.

Kindly visit this article for more information:

Users online (1,144)