Batch Removal of Collaborators from Folder?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted

Batch Removal of Collaborators from Folder?

Hi All,

Made a huge mistake and added a large volume of people to a folder (1800) for a video challenge where we needed to give access to people to upload a video.

Now they are all getting inundated with emails every time someone joins and comments --- EEK! I have a lot of angry people. Now I have turned off the notifications.

HOW do I remove multiple collaborators at once from a folder? Is this possible? The only option I see is to remove one at a time - and I need to remove about 1500. This will take me hours.....anyone have any suggestions?? Much appreciated. Thank you.

10 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Batch Removal of Collaborators from Folder?

Hi @janine12225,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

We currently do not have a way to remove bulk collaborators. You need to manually remove them by opening the appropriate folder. 

The Box Community team shares selected conversations with the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Box Certified Professional

@janine12225,

Yes, this sucks. Box really needs to fix this one. 

It's not a very satisfying solution, but in a pinch you can just copy the content to a new folder and delete the original. Unfortunately the comments will not move with it.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408

@janine12225

If your concern is not access to the videos (for this you need to remove the collaborators) but rather the notifications, you can use the folder setting "Disable all email notifications for all collaborators" to keep notifications from going out.

MaryBeth

New Contributor

Your response is noted and appreciated, thank you. However, this is a feature that Box is lacking and it needs to be incorporated for folder/file owners as well as individual collaborators/invitees asap. I receive upwards of 20+ folder collaboration invites monthly which can amount to upwards of, and occasionally exceed, 2GB's of data. Once I've downloaded the data, I no longer have need to be listed as a collaborator and wish there was a way to batch process and remove only myself to end my collaboration from "all selected folders/files at once" without effecting other collaborators that may wish to remain as such. To have too remove ones self one folder or file at a time is tedious, time consuming, and very frustrating! I can't imagine the daunting task at hand for a situation (or worse) such as @janine12225 is faced with!

Collaborators can select multiple folders/files with the typical Ctrl+Left-Click, or any selected group of folders/files with the Shift+Left-Click combination to download all selected folders/files at one sitting. Why can't this same process be used to remove one's self as a collaborator for any multiple of, or all folders/files as needed rather than manually having to remove ones self from each and every folder/file collaboration individually? This is A HUGE INCONVENIENCE to all Box users and needs to be implemented ASAP! -- A LONG OVERDUE FEATURE that should've been addressed and rolled-out a looong time ago! The recent site upgrade / overhaul would've been a perfect opportunity to implement this long overdue feature.

If it wasn't such a daunting / all-but-impossible feat to get numerous individuals on the same page to reestablish their accounts and set things up at a competitors site (many from around the world who are non-English speaking), we all would have moved and closed our Box accounts a long time ago because of this one lacking feature. Granted Box has made great improvements and added new desired features as time moves forward, but It can't be impossible for the Box programmers to implement batch folder/file collaboration-removal if others can do it. The current procedure may be fine for those only dealing with a couple folders/files on average, but when faced with 20+ or even thousands of files or folders such as janine1222 is (and in our particular case we're talking anywhere from a handful to over 100 people at times), this becomes frustratingly problematic and very time consuming! Time that could be used for other productive pursuits rather than wasting it cleaning up things one file or folder at a time.

The ability to batch-process collaboration-removal of multiple collaborations no doubt would be a game changer for Box in general, and a huge leap forward into the 21st century of digital management for the Box community. I'm sure I can speak for any users who deal with large numbers of folders/files on a regular basis when I say "I would like to see this feature implemented asap to make things much more efficiently productive on Box". Thanks.

@Visible_Spirit,

I understand your request, I think it is a valid request and I think you should submit it as a feature request to Box Support as this is just a user forum.

If you read the first post carefully you will understand that it is an altogether different request. That request is asking for the ability to remove all collaborators from a single folder while you appear to be asking for the ability remove yourself from multiple folders. If I have misunderstood, forgive me. 

Best of luck with your request,

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU,

Thanks for your reply Bob.

You are correct. I desire to remove myself as collaborator from multiple folders/files once I've downloaded what I want without having to do each one individually. By selecting those folders/files in a batch context such as one can do with folders/files for downloading, no doubt this will be a welcome feature that should've been incorporated long ago. The ability to do this via the entire batch at once is the goal for me. This is in the same vain as @janine12225's request to batch remove multiple collaborators from  one folder/file etc., just on the other side of the fence if-you-will. From a programmers perspective this may be an entirely different request, but I didn't find another thread that touched on this subject and is the reason I posted it here.

I intend to forward this request, Thanks.

Kindest Regards,

Visible Spirit

@Visible_Spirit,

As a long-time admin of a large Box enterprise I hear many feature requests from my users and while I have heard @janine12225's request many times over the years, and have submitted it to Box myself, this is the first time I've heard yours. I give regular Box trainings to departments and do get asked how one "makes a folder go away", it is always in the "just a few" range. I've yet to encounter the situation where one gets invited to so many folders so fast that they need a way to bulk remove them. I'm intrigued by your use case. Could you say a little more about it?

I once had a department that was setting itself up for this problem. The academic advisor was going to have every student invite them to a folder to keep their shared advising documents in. I recommended they reverse the equation and invite all of the students. At the end of the student's time with the department they simply transferred ownership of the folder to the student and left the folder. I suppose the effect was the same, they had to remove themselves from individual folders, but it made the process more manageable.

Best of luck with your request and your work. Again, if you have time/ability to share the use case, I'd like to hear more. There is always time to learn.

Regards,

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU,

Hi Bob,

Answer:

We are music aficionados and use Box to share large music files. Mainly albums. Each album is a folder. There are many collaborators within the group and so the number of albums/folders can grow quickly over the period of a month +/-. Once I've downloaded the albums I want, I'd like to remove myself from all folders that remain on my account page. This isn't as large as it may seem, yet tediously removing my collaboration via each individual folder is just that, tedious and time consuming as I have little patience for redundant things.

I want to remove them quickly and move on to other things more productive with my time rather than sit there removing myself from one, waiting for the system to update and reflect that entry removed, then repeat and wait, repeat and wait, repeat and wait, repeat and wait, etc, etc, etc. If I and others were to log-in daily, this likely wouldn't be an issue. But I, and I'm sure most group collaborators don't have time to log-in daily to download or upload files. I, like most others, log-in occasionally when I have time. Generally once or twice a month on average. In the mean time, there can be anywhere from 2-3 or as many as 20-50+ folders accumulated. When dealing with this many folders at a time, I think you can see where this would become time consuming waiting for the system to update each folders collaboration to be removed one by one. Not clearing folders that one has downloaded previously can become a nightmare upon the next visit to decipher which have been downloaded, and which haven't without wasting even more time to go back and forth comparing folders/files.

I'm sure some might consider this petty where others can relate and would agree, regardless of the amount of folders to remove ones collaboration from to clear the account page in preparation for further additions, the ability to select multiple folders/files to remove them as a batch would be beneficial for all to save time. It's just illogical to be able to select 20-30 or more folders with a couple clicks to download all at once, and yet not be able to select said folders in the same way and remove ones self as a collaborator, at the same time removing the entries from your account page all with one action.

As of this writing, I have 15 folders uploaded within a period of about 12 days. By the end of the month that number could occasionally be upwards of 40-50+ folders to remove myself as collaborator to clear my account page. Try sitting and removing yourself as collaborator waiting for each one of 40-50 folders to be processed individually click by click! It's literally a PIA and a major frustration repeating the process for each folder/file. Selecting them all with two clicks and a third click to process the action is much more desirable than processing each one individually. The current setup is inefficient and needs to be modified to achieve a more effective solution to multiple folder/file collaboration removal. Deleting them is not an option as this removes the folder/file for all considering I have editor privileges, as do others.

A solution to this dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Visible Spirit

@Visible_Spirit,

Thanks for the detailed response. Were I presented with this situation I would recommend a change to the folder structure and workflow. Right now it seems that each musician is adding every other musician to a top-level folder each time they upload something and therefore you have to remove yourself from each of those individual folders when you are done with it. 

Since the user who owns a folder owns the quota for files uploaded, the only hit you take as each new album is uploaded appears to be the resulting clutter and subsequent frustration. There are several folder strategies I could recommend depending on the details of the group's workflow and the frequency with which new members are added or removed, but knowing the limited amount I do, this would be my recommendation. 

Have each artist create a folder named for themselves or their group. Each other member of the collective is invited as a collaborator.* As artists add new albums they do so under their own folder. Each user could set notifications individually for any or all artists for which they want to know as soon as there is new content. That way you don't have to set up a routine of fishing around for what's new. If there are some artists that you are only marginally interested in you could set them for no notifications and just take a look in their folders whenever you have time to kill.

Each artist could organize their uploads within their folder however they wish, but you might agree upon some best practices like creating archives for past years' work and only putting new albums at the top of their folder.

This would not appear to change any existing workflow by the musicians, in fact, it would simplify it. It sounds like right now each time someone uploads an album they have to invite everyone else. In this scenario they would only need to do this once other than to add the occassion new member. You would not need to remove yourself from any folders unless there is an artist whose work you are simply not interested in. You could even greatly simplify your Box home page by leveraging Favorites. You could favorite those artists whose work you go to most often, favorite a hot new album or song you are currently obsessed with and then set Favorites as your home page. When the mood passes on a given song, album or artist, you could simply unfavorite them and it's out of sight and out of mind. 

* I am assuming these are all personal Box accounts and they are not all accounts under a single company. If they were part of a one company you could make a Box group to manage access, simply adding and removing users as they join or leave the organization. This would be a single point of adjusting access.

Again, this is just one idea of how to mildly adjust the existing workflow to remove the clutter and the frustration it creates. I'm happy to explore further if you think it might help. 

As a non-musician let me just say thank you for the creative energy and joy you and your colleagues bring to the world. I couldn't get through the workday without some good tunes.

Cheers,

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

Box just needs to add this feature. lagging behind Google Drive....

Users online (1,248)