Anyone else worried about Box reliability?

New Contributor

Anyone else worried about Box reliability?

I understand Box is working on all kinds of fancy new features, but I'm concerned they're losing sight of the critical baseline of availability.  Looking at the service status history (https://status.box.com/history), ther haven't been 3 days in a row between October 21 and November 2 that there hasn't been a problem with core services, culminating in a full outage. It's got me worried.

Anyone else worried?  Anyone heard anything comforting from Box about this apparently increasing problem?

5 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Anyone else worried about Box reliability?

Hello @GQRRAdmin!

First, thank your post and continued engagement on the Box Community. I wanted to acknowledge your question as it directly relates to some recent changes we've launched to provide consistency and transparency in global status updates. When you have a few minutes, take a look at the recently published article on our Approach to Incident Response and Communications. We are committed to being transparent with our customers about any issues that may happen with our service. Toward this goal, we recently started sharing more service status details.

If you would like specific details on the Nov. 2nd outage, please submit a case with our support team to request a postmortem on the incident.

Best,

Brent

New Contributor

Thanks for engaging. Yes, I'd read the incident response article before, particularly during the outage on the 2nd. It does help me feel like I'll know what's going on when there's a problem.  It doesn't help me feel like Box is preventing problems from occurring.

I know that Box has to cater to the whims of Silicon Valley, or whatever, but AI and Digital Transformation and Workflow and whatever all mean nothing if you cannot put data in and get data out reliably and consistently. I know it's not sexy to announce that you're going to focus on improving reliability. I think you need to do so anyway.

If the point you were trying to make is that these reliability problems have not increased, only our visibility on them has through greater transparency, I can understand that and that's valid, too.  I can appreciate that position.  That position also calls for greater investment in bedrock reliability before chasing more exotic, less critical, features.

Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback. The status site is meant as a current status indicator to let you know if/when there is a problem. Separately from this, we take these incidents seriously and conduct a thorough internal postmortem. As mentioned, we'll be happy to share more of the details concerning the Nov. 2 incident and long-term remediation actions at the conclusion of this analysis. Please submit a case to receive more information when it is available.

Contributor

Hi Brent,

Following up on the Nov 2 incident, Is the root cause for this and other incidents published anywhere. I have been asked by our Incident Response team to provide one.

Thank you in advance.

Sanjay

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello @snarula -Please open a support case and our team will be happy to provide the Preliminary RCA from this event.