Welcome to the new Box Support website. Check out all the details here on what’s changed.

download file shared link

New post

Comments

2 comments

• nitinkhosla

I am new to box APIs. I spent hours on box.com figuring out one simple thing.
    => How can I enable a "external user with no-box-account" to download a file/folder programmatically?
    Programmatic => curl command, python command.
    Answers that I found involved:
    1) A curl command involving access token (-H "Authorization..."). To create access token, I have to create custom app(please correct me).
    But if I do that. the user will have access to ALL my files in our box account. Application scope in custom app section do NOT allow me to restrict the APP clientid/secret usage to access only 1 particular folder/file.

2) I found that external users can be added and be restricted at folder level in admin panel (Add External User).
    Is there a client_id/secret for this external user which I can provide to him/her to access our box folder/files using programmatic APIS - curl/python?

3) Why does not curl work on shared URL link?
    curl -L https://box.shared.link

Comment actions Permalink
  • mohan277

I too struck with the same issue..

Here is my use case:

1. Access the shared web link through program (ruby) and need to down a required files.

2. I too have created a custom app to generate 'developer token'.

3.Have used boxr api to do the point 1, but its only accessing the folders & files in my account and its not able to connect to the shared link.

Please help me with your inputs, let me know and where i'm doing wrong.

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.