Welcome to the new Box Support website. Check out all the details here on what’s changed.

How rate limits are applied in case of Application user

New post

Comments

3 comments

• Kourtney

Hello , 

Thanks so much for using our Platform and Development Forum! 

Rate limits are implemented on a per-user basis. The two to be concerned about are 10 API calls per second per user and 4 uploads per second per user. If you're running into issues with rate limits we recommend spreading out your API calls across multiple users! 

Best, 

Kourtney 

Comment actions Permalink
  • arpna

thanks for the reply.

I am sorry to ask this again as I am a bit confused. My understanding is that the API limits mentioned are applicable if user is using OAUTH authentication.

Does this limit holds true in case of Service Account as well which is described here - https://developer.box.com/v2.0/docs/setting-up-a-jwt-app

One more clarification I would need, Will having a app per user help in rather than per enterprise help in getting API limits not impacting other users.

• Kourtney

No worries -- happy to help! 

API limits are independent of the type of authentication you're using. Therefore, yes the Service Account of an Oauth2 JWT application will be held to these limits as well. 

To answer your question: 

"Will having an app per user help in rather than per enterprise help in getting API limits not impacting other users." 

Since the API rate limits are implemented on a per-user basis, this wouldn't really help unless you're spreading out your API calls over multiple users. 

Best, 

Kourtney

Please sign in to leave a comment.