Welcome to the new Box Support website. Check out all the details here on what’s changed.

Box Metadata Search Or Filter

New post

Comments

2 comments

• feltontraining

Hey Dan,

Not sure if this is helpful at this point, but here goes.

Just to confirm, you are using a metadata template?

If so, what attribute are you using for the name fields?

I have a template where I use the "Text" attribute field, and users can enter a person's name. It's an open field, so people can type anything. When I tested this today in advanced search, I confirmed the following:

1. metadata text is not case sensitive. If your staff originally typed the name 'Daniel' in the metadata field, and then someone searched 'daniel', the file would still be pulled up.
    2. metadata text is searchable at word level. I do not have separate text fields for first and last name; I enter the entire name in one text field. So for you, I would type "Daniel Cody". If I did a metadata search and typed in only 'cody', the file would still be pulled up. I do it this way (one field for an entire name) because so many people I work with are from other countries, and Firstname Lastname is too culturally specific to the naming conventions of one group to have any value for me.
    3. metadata text must otherwise be consistent. Files with metadata 'Daniel' will not be searchable based on the term 'Dan'. This means you have to train your staff on the importance of consistency in data entry, and likely ban the use of nicknames and any shorthand. Have staff who do metadata entry run searches based on metadata themselves; they'll get why consistency matters immediately. 

-Anthony V.

Comment actions Permalink
  • DanielCody

Hi,

The question was not how to use the metadata search or to get It working with different cases.  It was to do an OR search on multiple fields for example

firstName: "Daniel",

nickName: "Dan",

}

That I would want any files with firstName Daniel OR nickName "Dan" where now it returns only files that hit the case firstName "Daniel" AND nickName "Dan"

Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.