Welcome to the new Box Support website. Check out all the details here on what’s changed.

App User- can I share data with regular users?

Answered
New post

Comments

2 comments

• Jason

Hey ,

Thanks for your message! Your authentication method would be perfect for the unattended use case. Regular box users should not be restricted from viewing any content created or owned by app users, as long as you've added the box users as collaborators.

Realistically, the only difference between an app user and a normal box user is that you can't log in with an app user via the web application. You can only interact with it through the API. Otherwise, everything else works the same - you can add users as collaborators, you can generate shared links, so on and so forth.

Do you mind linking to the area in our docs where we might be suggesting a restriction? Definitely want to get that cleared up if it's misleading somewhere!

Thanks,

Jason

Comment actions Permalink
  • roncraig007

I'd love to accept this as the answer, but the Community site forced me to "complete my profile" a second time and made me an entirely different user!  I submitted a ticket to try and fix it.  We'll see.

This is the page that made me wonder if I might have trouble: 

https://developer.box.com/docs/authentication-types-and-security#section-when-to-use

Seemed to imply there might be an issue.  How about:

Note: Nothing prevents an App User from assigning collaborators who can then access 
    folders and files created by an App User, but App Users will not have access to files
    created by others users (unless explicitly granted??)
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.