Moving and Copying Files & Folders

There are a few ways you can move or copy a file or folder.

Drag and Drop:

You can move a file or folder from one folder to another by dragging it from its current location and dropping it into the destination folder, just as you would with a file on your desktop. 

Folder Tree:

It’s simple to move or copy a file or folder into another folder.

1. Right-click the file or folder you want, and from the menu that displays click Move or Copy. The Move or Copy window opens.
  2. Scroll down if necessary to find the destination folder you want.
    • If you need to, click on any folder you see to access its subfolders.
  3. Click anywhere in the row of the folder you want. The corresponding circle fills in, indicating your choice.

select folder post.png

1. Click Move or click Copy.

You can also open the Move or Copy window either by clicking the ellipsis (...) to the right of the item you want to move or copy.  Or you can click anywhere next to the item you want and, in the top-right portion of the screen, click Move or Copy.

To move or copy multiple items at once:

1. Do the same actions as you do when selecting multiple items on your desktop:
  • On Windows machines, to select multiple items in a group, press and hold SHIFT and click anywhere next to the items you want. To select multiple scattered items, press and hold CTRL anywhere next to each of the items you want.
  • On Mac machines, to select multiple items in a group, press and hold SHIFT and click anywhere next to the items you want. To select multiple scattered items, press and hold CMD and click anywhere next to each of the items you want.
  1. In the top-right portion of the screen, click Move or Copy to open the Move or Copy window.
Version history
Revision #:
4 of 4
Last update:
‎03-19-2019 11:31 AM
Updated by:

Labels (3)
Contributors

Comments

Would like to have the ability to filter folders by date modified when selecting "Move or Copy." Currently files are organized by alpha and I have to scroll through files to find the one I recently created.

Hi @UTBecky,

Thanks for your feedback!

I linked your post to this suggestion on our Box Pulse site here.

If you'd like to add more details, or other suggestions for our Box product teams, feel free to post your feedback to Box Pulse directly.

Thanks again for posting in the Box Community!

If I move a file to a new folder using Box Drive on my desktop, does the file have to be uploaded again to Box? Or is Box smart enough to move the file without having to reupload it? This information is particularly important for large files.

Hi @ajpadovani,

You are correct. Any moves of a file through Box Drive will be reflected in Box.com and vice versa, you will see that the files you move or upload will also be reflected in Box Drive. 

@Howard,

Thank you for the reply, but that doesn't really answer my question. A concrete example: If I have a 4 GB file stored in folder A and then move the file to folder B using Box Drive on my desktop, does Box Drive delete the file from folder A and re-upload the 4 GB file to folder B?

How do I move a file within a folder?  I just want put the files in the order I want in a folder. 

@ajpadovani, the move is simply a move to the new folder or location. There is not a step to delete the file and re-upload the file to its new destination.

@tomoverby1 - Check out this article on how to sort your files: https://community.box.com/t5/Organizing-and-Tracking-Content/Sort-Files-and-Folders/ta-p/50447 - you cannot manually order files at this time.

Hi Team,
I use Box for EVERYTHING. This new warning message that comes up everytime I move a file to a different folder is getting annoying, have to click ok everytime I move something.
There is no option to not see the warning pop up everytime.

Is there a way to turn this off in the back end?
Thank you kindly

Emma Ward - agree and I'd like to know now if the files are publically available for anyone with the link and there is no need to log in?  I'm waiting on an answer from BOX as they didn't seem aware of this new warning.