If you are having trouble uploading files or folders, please try the following troubleshooting steps.
Note: Old Box Experience
This page refers to the old Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.
If the item does not look like the image above, visit the link below instead:
- Try clearing your browser's cache. If this does not resolve your issue please proceed to the next step.
- If you are using the Upload Folders feature, you must have Java installed on your computer. Note: Chrome uses HTML5 instead of Java for Upload Folders.
- Check to see if you are using the supported browsers and OS here.
- Verify that the file's name is valid. Box only supports file or folder names that are 255 characters or less. File names containing non-printable ascii, "/" or "\", names with leading or trailing spaces, and the special names “.” and “..” are also unsupported.
- Make sure you are uploading files smaller than the maximum for your account type. To determine your maximum, click the arrow next to your name in the upper right-hand corner of your screen and select Account Settings. Then, click on Account and your Max file size will be listed under Account Information.
- Within the 'Upload' drop-down menu there are two options:
'Upload Files' or 'Upload Folders'. Try uploading with the 'Upload Files' method instead of 'Upload Folders', or vice versa.
- Please ensure your web browser is the latest version of Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome.
- Check to see if you are running the latest versions of Java and Flash.
- Clear your Java Cache. Follow steps here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml
- Check your network connection to Box. If connected to the internet with a wireless card, check to see if the connection to the internet drops intermittently. If this is the case, we recommend the Upload Folders method.
- Try temporarily disabling or configuring your firewall to allow Box as a trusted site. You may find that your anti-virus software includes a built-in firewall. If you are attempting to access Box from an office setting and experience upload issues, then please contact your IT administrator or internal Help Desk.
- Proxy servers may sometimes cause failed uploads. If you see the error message: An error occurred with the upload. Please refresh the page and try again. Please contact your IT department or Help Desk and ask them to check your Java security settings or proxy configuration.