This article describes behavior when you unsync or delete a synced file.
Note: Old Box Experience
This page refers to the old Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.
If the item does not look like the image above, visit one of the links below instead:
- Local Box Sync Folder Content Deletion Behavior
- User notifications
- Deleting collaborated folders
- Unsyncing collaborated folders
- Accidentally deleting folders
Local Box Sync Folder Content Deletion Behavior
You will only receive a "Confirm Deletion" prompt when you delete a folder you own from your Box Sync folder that has collaborators in the folder. See example prompt below.
You can optionally check the Always delete check box if you always want Box Sync to delete the folder on your Box account. You will no longer see this pop-up for any future deletions of folders that you own that contains collaborators.
Scenarios where you will not receive a "Confirm Deletion" prompt:When deleting content from your local Box Sync folder,
- you will not get this prompt if you delete a folder you own that has no collaborators. The folder will be deleted from your Box account.
- you will not get this prompt if you delete individual files. The file will be deleted from your Box account.
- you will not get this prompt if you delete a folder that is owned by another user. The folder will be unsynced for you.
Note: Moving a folder from your Box Sync folder to anywhere outside of your Box Sync folder is equivalent to the folder being directly deleted from your Box Sync folder.
You will receive a Box Update Notice about this change in behavior:
- If you are already logged in, the Update Notice window displays as soon as the auto-update completes.
- When you log in for the first time after the auto-update completes, you will see the Update Notice window.
If you delete a collaborated folder, you will also receive a Box Sync pop-up that confirms your intent to delete when other users are also collaborating in this folder.
Refer to above section for the "Confirm Deletion" notification details.
Deleting collaborated folders
When you delete a collaborated folder, that folder is permanently deleted from every collaborator's account.
Note: If this folder is partially synced, additional items not visible on your computer may also be permanently deleted from Box. Deleting parent folders locally from your Box Sync folder could cause subfolders on the web application to be deleted inadvertently. For More information see: Can I Prevent Content From Being Permanently Deleted?
Unsyncing collaborated folders
When you unsync a collaborated folder, you are only removing it from your computer ﹣ it remains in the parent folder and all other collaborators continue to have access to that folder. This action must be taken from the web application (the other actions described here can be taken locally from the Box Sync folder on your computer).
To enable Box Sync on any folder, see How to Get Started with Box Sync.
Accidentally deleting folders
If you accidentally delete folders, the person who deleted the folder or the folder owner can recover the folder. See How Do I Recover Missing Content? for additional information.