Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The blueprint for the future of work
Register today!
Attend BoxWorks
Desktop, meet cloud.
Box Drive is the easiest and fastest way to connect to the cloud — without changing the way you work.
View resources

Trash

by on ‎07-13-2016 12:28 PM - edited on ‎07-21-2017 11:05 AM by (6,851 Views)

Just like your computer, Box makes use of a trash, where deleted items are stored for a certain period. From the Trash, you can recover files and folders that have been deleted. By default, items in the Trash will be purged after 30 days. This time period can be modified by administrators of Business and Enterprise accounts.

Note: New Box Experience

This page refers to the new Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.

Files and folders should look like this when you hover over them.Files and folders should look like this when you hover over them.

If the item does not look like the image above, visit one of the links below instead:

Storage Allocation
Deleted items which have been moved to the Trash still count towards total storage allocations. When items are deleted from a collaboration folder, both the owner and the user who deleted the item will be able to recover the items from the Trash. Until the item is permanently removed from the trash, the item will still counts toward the owner's or enterprise's storage.

Accessing the Trash

To open the Trash page, simply click Trash in the left-hand sidebar.

trash - 1

Box allows you to sort and filter items within the trash folder. You can filter content by Items I deleted and Items I own.
trash - 2 
The Items I deleted filter will display all items deleted by you, regardless of who created or owns the item. 

The Items I own filter will display all deleted items that you own, regardless of who deleted the item. 

Tip: Filtering by "Items I Own" is helpful when trying to track down content that may have been deleted by a collaborator in a folder you own. 

Recovering Items

The Trash folder allows you to recover or empty the entire Trash folder, or perform actions on just a few items as needed. 

To recover the entire folder, select Restore All from the top of the page. Recovered files and folders will be restored to the location from which they were deleted.

trash - 3

To recover specific items from the trash, the click to select an individual item (or shift+click to multiselect) and click the Restore icon.
trash - 4

The following details are restored along with the file:
  • Description
  • Tags
  • Comments
  • Tasks
  • Share state (whether the shared link is enabled or disabled)
  • Collaborators 
The following details are not restored:
  • Expiration setting on shared links
  • Expiration settings for deletion