- Previewing Files
To preview an item, click the item's name. It opens directly within the Box interface. When an individual follows a shared link to a file, by default the file previews within the the Box interface, rather than downloading or displaying within the native application.
This is the preview screen:
- File name and parent folder: See the name of the file you are previewing, plus the name of that file's parent folder. Click the name of the parent folder to navigate back to it.
- Primary file actions: From the header, you can do the following (note that some actions may be limited based on your permission level):
- View Recent Activity: View avatars of people who recently edited, commented on, or viewed the the file.
- Show/Hide sidebar: Click the speech bubble icon to hide or show the sidebar.
- Open: Click to open the file on your desktop. The native application opens the file. For example, a Word document opens in Word. Saving the file in the desktop application automatically uploads a new version to Box, so you don't have to worry about losing your changes.
- Download: Download the file to your device.
- Share: Click to generate a link to this file that you can send to others.
Previewing Video Files
When you preview video files you can use keyboard shortcuts to perform basic actions. Preview also supports closed captioning in videos, and for accessibility it works with screen reader programs such as Mac's VoiceOver. For more information:
What file types are supported?
This list of file types applies only to the Box Web and mobile apps. To learn about the file types supported through Box Platform APIs, please see our developer documentation: https://docs.box.com/reference#section-supported-file-types
as, as3, asm, bat, c, cc, cmake, cpp, cs, css, csv, cxx, diff, doc, docx, erb, gdoc, groovy, gsheet, h, haml, hh, htm, html, java, js, json, less, log, m, make, md, ml, mm, msg, numbers, ods, odt, pages, pdf, php, pl, plist, properties, py, rb, rst, rtf, sass, scala, scm, script, sh, sml, sql, tsv, txt, vi, vim, webdoc, wpd, xhtml, xls, xlsm, xlsx, xml, xsd, xsl, yaml
gslide, gslides, key, odp, ppt, pptx
ai,* bmp, dcm, eps, gif, gif, heic, jpeg, jpg, png, ps, psd, svg, svs, tga, tif, tiff
Note Image files do not have an option to "Print" from Box's preview. To print an image, you must download it. Also, you must save .ai (Adobe Illustrator) files in .pdf-compatible mode to preview them in Box.
aac, aif, aifc, aiff, amr, au, flac, m4a, mp3, ra, wav, wma
3g2, 3gp, avi, flv, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpg, mts, ogg, qt, ts, wmv
Video Preview is only available to Business level Box accounts and above. Free or personal users can preview video files owned by these accounts.
You can preview videos up to 3.5 hours in length
AVCHD (Advanced Video Coding High Definition) is not supported in preview.
3D (graphics and modeling) files
3ds, box3d, dae, fbx, obj, ply, stl
Note 3D Preview and 360-degrees images preview are only available to Business Plus-level Box accounts and above. Free or personal users can preview 3D files and 360-degrees images owned by these accounts.
The Mobile app does not support 3D Preview.
Is There a File Size Limit for Preview?
Preview is limited to files sized 500MB or smaller. Video files are the exception; these can be up to 3.5 hours long. Excel file previews are also limited to sheets of fewer than ~100 columns and ~100,000 rows. More on the Excel online previewer.
What Resolutions does Box Preview Support for Video Previews?
Both 480p and 1080p previews are supported. When you preview a video, you can use the settings gear to adjust the resolution.
My File Doesn't Display Properly
Preview displays most documents without issue, but we can not guarantee perfect accuracy. If your file doesn't display properly in preview, use the file's native application to open it.
- Excel preview does not follow time information in the original file. When previewing Excel documents in Box, the time-related functions (for example, TODAY() or TIME()) do not display accurately. This is because Excel date/time functions are dynamic, while the previewed document is static. Box preview obtains and displays the date the file was previewed. A static version of the time/date is displays in the previewed document, based on the time the preview was generated.
- You cannot preview password-protected files.
- Hyperlinks do not work in PowerPoint files in Box preview on either the Web, m.box, or mobile applications.
- Videos embedded in Powerpoint files do not work in Preview.
- Animations and page transitions in PowerPoint do not work in preview
- Adobe PDF Portfolios are not supported by Box Preview.
- Small sized file (1-byte) cannot be previewed on m.box.com