Box is designed to work just like your operating system, so file management is easy. In your Box account, you can organize your files in folders just as you would on your computer.
Note: Old Box Experience
This page refers to the old Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.
If the item does not look like the image above, visit one of the links below instead:
- Creating a new folder
- Moving and copying
- Deleting a file or folder
- Searching for a file or folder
- Renaming a file or folder
- Other ways to create content
To create a new folder, click the 'New' button found on the upper-lefthand side of the 'All Files' page. A pop-up window will appear prompting you to enter the name of the new folder and whether you would like to invite 'collaborators' to the folder. Click 'Okay' to complete the folder creation process.
- Note: if you do not input any names or email addresses, the folder will remain private even if you have 'Invite people to upload or download files' selected.
To move or copy a file or folder, simply drag it from its current location and drop it into the destination folder, just as you would with a file on your hard drive. You can also click on the drop-down menu next to the file name and select 'Move or Copy'. This will bring up a new window where you can click through your folder structure and select the new location for the file or folder. Once you have that location highlighted, click the 'Move' or 'Copy' button.
To delete a file or a folder, click on the drop-down menu for that item and select 'Delete.' A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm if you would like to delete the file or the folder. After you confirm the deletion, the item will be moved to the trash.
- To delete multiple files and/or folders, check the box shown on the right side of each item. Once you have selected each item, scroll to the top of the file display area and click the trash icon to delete.
- Note: if you delete and item inadvertently, it will remain in your trash and will be recoverable for 30 days. Enterprise admins can adjust this setting in the Admin Console.
To search for a file or folder locate the search bar at the top of the page. Enter all or part of the name of the file or folder you are looking for, then hit 'Enter' or click the magnifying glass icon to run the search.
- After you run a preliminary search, you can refine your results by selecting one or more of the advanced search options on the right-hand side of the page.
- You can filter search results by folder, owner, file type, date modified and size. You can also choose to limit your search to file/folder names, comments, item descriptions, file content, or tags.
To rename a file or folder, hover your mouse over the name of the item and click the small pencil icon. This will open up a text box where you can change the file name.
- Note: you can change the file name by this process on the All Files page or while previewing the file.
Here are a few other ways to create new content: