There are 2 different ways that you can rename a file or folder.
Note: Old Box Experience
This page refers to the old Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.
If the item does not look like the image above, visit one of the links below instead:
The first way:
1) Place your mouse over the file or folder name and a “pencil” icon will appear
2) Click on the "pencil" icon and rename your file or folder
The second way:
1) Click on “More options” (arrow button) against the file or folder name
2) Scroll down to “Properties” and click “General Info”
3) Within the "General" tab rename the file or folder in the "Name" field and click "Save"