You can easily configure your Box account to work with Google. Securely create, open, edit, preview, share, and collaborate on Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides directly from Box. All your changes are saved directly back to Box in real time, giving you a central source of truth. You can share your content on Google right from your Box account, just as you do with any other document stored in Box. And you can apply Box's advanced security and compliance protections to those Google files managed in Box.
You can also access your Box files from directly within Google Hangouts Chat, and go back and forth between Box and Hangouts Chat without ever leaving the chat interface. For more details, please review this article.
- Integrating with Google
- Concurrently editing documents
- Upgrading to the Google Docs integration
Note: When integrating with Google Docs, make sure 3rd party cookies are enabled in your browser.
- In Chrome, cookie settings can be adjusted under the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- To change your cookie settings, select Settings > Show advanced settings. In the Privacy section, click Content settings and adjust your settings in the Cookies section.
Integrating with Google
To set up the integration, follow this process.
- Click New.
- Click Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Google Slides.
- The document you selected opens. Continue editing as you would normally. To name the document, toward the top left click in the Untitled title box and enter the name you want.
- Sign into your Google Account.
If you are already signed into your Google account, click Accept to grant Box permission to store your content on Box.
- Click Okay to allow Box to connect to your Google account.
- Start editing.
Concurrently editing documents
Google Docs also allows you to work with your collaborators on a document at the same time. When you (or another collaborator) are working on a document in Google Docs, the icon identified in the following image will be displayed
While the icon indicates that the file is being used, you can also join in to collaboratively edit this shared document.
See Enabling Concurrent Editing for additional information.
Upgrading to the Google Docs Integration
To complete your integration updates, Box guides you through an authentication flow that pairs your Box and Google accounts.
When you connect to a Google document or to edit a file using Google docs, you will be upgrading to the new integration and will only have to follow this process once.
- You will be asked to log into Google.
- Click Allow access to grant Box permission to store your spreadsheets or documents on Box.
If you see a blank page when you try to edit a Google document, verify that you are signed into Google using the Google account associated with your Box account. The blank page is a Google security measure.
For all other issues, try resetting your association using the following process:
- Go to your Box account and click the dropdown list next your name. Select Account Settings.
Click the Apps tab.
- Scroll down to the Applications Linked by Single Sign On section.
Reset your account association. The next time you open a Google document, you will be prompted to pair your Box and Google accounts again as described in the Upgrading to the Google Docs integration section.