Account Administrators and co-Admins have the ability to set shared link preferences for all content owned by their managed users. If an option is disabled at the Administrator level, it will not appear for all managed users, and for Collaborators in folders owned by managed users. Change the settings at the Admin level only if you want to restrict sharing access for every file and folder in your account.
To access shared link settings from an Admin or Co-Admin account:
- Open Admin Console.
- In the left pane, click Enterprise Settings.
- At the top of the page, click Content & Sharing.
From the Content & Sharing settings page, you can control what access options are available for your content, what the default access for newly created shared links will be, and what permissions link viewers (who are not invited Collaborators) will have for the content they access.
Enable external links to: In this menu, you can determine what types of content should be accessible to non-Collaborators. Collaborators have to be explicitly invited into the folder, and already have access to the content, whether or not a shared link has been enabled.
- Folders and Files: (default) All content in your account will follow the shared link settings that follow this option.
- Folders only: Folders in your account will follow the shared link settings that follow. Shared links for files can be created, but will only be accessible by invited Collaborators in the folder.
- Files only: Files in your account will follow the shared link settings that follow. Shared links for folders can be created, but will only be accessible by invited Collaborators in the folder.
- Nothing, restrict sharing: Shared links for files and folders in your account will only be accessible by invited Collaborators in the folder.
With access options:
Here you can set what access options are available for the content types selected above. By default, all options are enabled, meaning that users with appropriate permissions can choose, per item, what access permission to grant their content.
- People with the link, people in your company, and people in this folder:Anyone with the link can access. No log in required. Note: Users can still set a password or expiration date for these links.
- People in your company and people in this folder only: Users with a Box account and a validated email address matching your domain will be able to access content via the shared link. When accessing the link, users will be asked to log in to Box to verify their identity. Collaborators can also access content if @company is selected.
- People in this folder only: Only users who have been invited to the folder can access the content in the folder. Note: Collaborators already have access to their content, but can easily direct one another to a specific file or folder using the shared link.
Changing the shared link "with access options" setting alters what types of new shared links can be created for content owned by your enterprise. This setting also changes how pre-existing shared links work. Existing shared links are effected by this setting, such that previously created shared links that are no longer allowed will be lowered to more restrictive settings.
For example, let's say you change this setting from Open to Company. After this point, your managed users will no longer be able to create shared links of the Open type. Pre-existing shared links that were of the Open type would be changed to the Company type.
In the rare scenario where this setting is changed from a less restrictive setting to a more restrictive setting and then back again, shared links created before the setting changes will retain their type.
Default new links to:
This setting controls the default access level of newly created shared links. You can choose from the same three access levels as the previous setting. Note: If you have limited the access options to People in your company or people in this folder, your options here will be limited accordingly.
Let Link Viewers:
This setting will set whether or not you allow content viewed through shared links to be downloadable.
- Preview and download the shared item:Allows those viewing the link to be able to download the files and folders. Note: Managed users can toggle the download setting at the folder and file level with this setting on
- Preview the shared item only:Link viewers can only preview the item. Download is disabled and managed users will not be able toggle this setting at the folder and file level.
- Edit the shared item: Check this option to enable Edit Shared Linksin Box Notes (shared links that provide Editor Access to the link recipient). If this option is not checked, the Let Link Viewers setting will be set to Preview the shared item only and cannot be changed while this option remains disabled. Note: If you have restricted shared links to people in your company or people in the folder only, this option will be disabled.
Default new Box Notes links to:
Note: If the Edit the shared item checkbox is not checked, this setting will be set to View the shared note.
- View the shared note: If this option is selected, newly created shared links to Box Notes will be View-only links by default.
- Edit the shared note: If this option is selected, newly created shared links to Box Notes will be Edit Shared Links by default.
Custom Shared Links:
- Allow custom shared link URLs for links with open access: If this option is enabled, users will be able to customize the URLs for created shared links.
- Show your custom domain in shared link URLs: If this option is enabled, your custom domainwill be displayed in shared link URLs.