Single-user vs machine-wide installations
The machine-wide installation location:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Box\Box Local Com Server
The machine-wide installer is recommended for mass deployments of Box Tools.
With the machine-wide installation, Box Edit.exe should be running as the end user and Box Local Com Windows Service.exe should be running as the SYSTEM user as a Windows service.
.NET Framework support
- Single-user installer for .NET Framework 4.5.2+ support
- Machine-wide installer for .NET Framework 4.5.2+ support
We recommend installing the latest version of the .NET Framework that is supported in your environment.
Note: If the .app files are not started for a user, the web app won't be able to verify that Box Edit is installed, and the user will be prompted to install Box Edit when they try to edit a file.
If you are using a deployment tool other than Casper Suite, or deploying Box Edit using a custom installer, be sure that the two .app files have been placed in the appropriate directory, and be sure to either start running them (as the user who will be logging in to that particular machine) or set them up to start running at login.
Box Tools uses a loopback network interface connection between the browser (Box.com) and the desktop. This interface may require you to configure your network to support Box Tools.
In addition to the information below, Internet Explorer may require additional configuration.
Box Tools v4:
Box Tools v3:
If the networking system filters or selectively caches DNS responses:
- The domain *.boxlocalhost.com must be allowed to resolve to 127.0.0.1
- If wildcards are not allowed, edit.boxlocalhost.com must be allowed to resolve to 127.0.0.1
If the proxy configuration is specified by a PAC file or a wpad.dat file (i.e., a PAC file published via DNS WPAD discovery), the domain *.boxlocalhost.com should be allowed to connect DIRECT.
An example PAC file code snippet:
// If the protocol or URL matches, send direct.
if (url.substring(0, 6)=="https:" && shExpMatch(url, ".boxlocalhost.com"))
Note: "Direct" should be in all uppercase: DIRECT
If the proxy is not configured through a PAC/WPAD file, but through DIRECT configuration in the operating system:
On Windows: Add an exception for *.boxlocalhost.com
- Navigate to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings (or Settings for a selected Connection)
- Add *.boxlocalhost.com to the box under Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with.