As a Business, Business Plus, or Enterprise admin, you can delete managed users and transfer their content to another user in your account. Please note that this will not affect existing collaborations so users will not lose access to the content after the transfer completes.
To accomplish this, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account and navigate to the Admin Console
- Click on the Users icon
- Locate the user you would like to delete and select Delete from the drop-down menu next to their account.
- A pop-up window will appear outlining the number of files and folders the user owns and the amount of storage space they are using on the account. Here, you will be presented with the option to either delete the content owned by their account, or transfer this content to another user in the account. If you are not prompted with the option to transfer content, it means the user you are attempting to delete does not own any content and is currently only collaborating on content
- To simply delete the content choose Delete Content and select Continue
- To transfer the content to another user choose Transfer Content to Another User. To designate a recipient, either type in the email address of another user in your account or choose the contact icon to see a list of available users, and click Continue. Any content the user had in trash will not be transferred.
- In the final step, you will be asked to confirm this deletion/transfer and will have the option to notify the affected users via email. Once you have selected the users you would like to be notified, select Transfer Content and Delete User to apply the changes.
- Once complete, the deleted user's content will show up in the recipient's root level under a folder titled "[Deleted User's Email] - [Deleted User's Name]'s Files and Folders".
This process can take some time to complete depending on the amount of content your user owns. The more content they own, the longer it will take to complete. If the process errors out, we suggest first trying to individually transfer some of the largest folders following the steps listed in this article. If you continue to get an error, please file a support request with Box User Services.