As the Administrator of your organization's Box instance, you can delete managed users and transfer their content to another user in your account. Please note that this will not affect existing collaborations so users will not lose access to the content after the transfer completes.
To delete a user and transfer a user's content, follow these steps:
- Log in to your account and navigate to the Admin Console.
- In the lefthand navigation, click Users and Groups.
- Select the user you want to delete. The Edit User Account Details section displays.
Click Delete this User. (This link is located between the Status and Language boxes.) You’ll then have the option to transfer any content the user owns to another user, or to delete it entirely.
Admin Tip: You may want to transfer everything to yourself and then apportion the content out to other users.
- A pop-up window displays, indicating the number of files and folders the user owns and the amount of storage space they are using on the account. Here you're presented with the option to either delete the content that the user owns, or transfer this content to another user in the account. If you are not prompted with the option to transfer content, it means the user you are attempting to delete does not own any content and is currently only collaborating on content.
- To delete the content choose Delete Content and select Continue
- To transfer the content to another user choose Transfer Content to Another User. To designate a recipient, either type in the email address of another user in your account or choose the contact icon to see a list of available users, and click Continue. Any content in the user's trash will be transferred and show up in the receiver's trash. You will need to ensure you're filtering the trash by "Items I own" to see these items. Items in the trash that are not owned by the user will not be transferred.
- In the final step, you will be asked to confirm this deletion/transfer and will have the option to notify the affected users via email. Once you have selected the users you would like to be notified, select Transfer Content and Delete User to apply the changes.
- Once complete, the deleted user's content will show up in the recipient's root level under a folder titled "[Deleted User's Email] - [Deleted User's Name]'s Files and Folders".