Box Embed is a robust HTML5 technology that allows Box customers and partners to embed the full Box experience everywhere people work. With the full content management and collaboration features of Box available in any application, the technology puts content at the center of successful, boundary-less organizations.
Note: Old Box Experience
This page refers to the old Box experience. In Box, hover over a single file or folder with your mouse. If the item looks like the following image, you are in the right place.
If the item does not look like the image above, visit one of the links below instead:
- How does it work?
- Why is it important for users and customers?
- Why is it important for admins?
- Why is it important for partners/developers?
- Where does a user find Box Embed?
- When is it available?
- How do I troubleshoot Embed Widget issues?
- Can you set a password (or link expiration or prevent downloads) on the embed widget?
How does it work?
- The new HTML5-based embeddable framework can be added to any app in minutes, providing the full functionality of Box to any intranet, website, or other enterprise cloud app.
- With features like preview, file uploading, real time updates, editing, commenting and collaborator management, the technology lets customers, developers and partners collaborate on centralized content, regardless of where they work.
- As Box adds more functionality and collaboration features, it will automatically extend to the framework as well.
Why is it important for users and customers?
- Box Embed allows users and customers to work together on centralized content, regardless of where they work, within any system.
- Users can now save time and increase productivity when searching and accessing files in their applications while keeping content and discussions centralized in Box without having to leave their application.
- For example, users in NetSuite can now access their full Box content, without having to leave NetSuite. Instead, they can preview, upload, edit and comment on documents and files through NetSuite directly, making content available anywhere our users and customers work.
Why is it important for admins?
- The framework will allow admins to keep content centralized and secured on Box while making it available at any time within any website or enterprise cloud app – arming their users to get more done, easier.
- With granular permission levels, activity tracking/reporting and integrations with hundreds of business and productivity apps, Box gives admins the management and security options they require.
Why is it important for partners/developers?
- Developers and partners can now embed this framework to any app in minutes, providing the full functionality of Box to any intranet, website or other enterprise cloud app, making it easy to work and build on Box while still receiving the richness of Box’s features.
Where does a user find Box Embed?
- Users can find the embed code for Box Embed on any file or folder page in Box by selecting Embed in the Sharing section on the right-hand sidebar. Detailed instructions are also available under Using The Embed Widget To Give Access To My Box Files From My Website?
Who can use it?
- Box Embed is available for all customers (both free and paid), developers and partners.
How do I troubleshoot Embed Widget issues?
Capture the browser headers during the loading of the Box Embed using one of the following browsers and then send the file to us for troubleshooting:
- Internet Explorer: Use Microsoft F12 Developer Tools and the Network Tool to capture the browser headers. Then export the captured traffic as XML or HAR file.
- Chrome: Use Chrome Developer Tools to capture a HAR file.
- Firefox: Use Firefox Network Monitor to capture all the network requests and then right-click on a row in the request list and select the option to 'Save All As HAR'. Be sure to enable the setting: Enable persistent logs in the Developer Tools Settings pane before starting the capture.
- Safari: Use Safari Web Inspector to view the network requests and take a screenshot.
Submit a case and include the saved file from your browser.
Can you set a password (or link expiration or prevent downloads) on the embed widget?
The native Embed widget will respect the settings applied in shared link settings.
- This includes "Link Expiration", "Password Protection", and "Allow Download".
- In order to adjust the expiration date and password of the embed widget, you will need to adjust the settings in shared link settings. The shared link settings will directly affect embed widget settings.