Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Creating "File Aliases" to Reduce Duplicate Files (without using Bookmarks)

[ Edited ]

I have way too many duplicate files in my Box account. Overload. But I need the same file to exist in multiple folders. I have researched whether Box allows for file 'aliases' (as they are called in MacOS; but known as 'shortcuts' in Windows). Box has a solution but it is very convoluted and feels shockingly outdated.

Here's how Box works currently works. If you want a file to appear in multiple folder, you need to use Bookmarks. While I appreciate this solution, I find it incredibly inefficient. I am confident other people have this issue. The problem with Bookmarks is that not just that it requires so many steps, but that it focuses on the destination of the file. And not the file itself.

Here is how Box should fix this to make it simpler. Instead of users only being able to select "Move or Copy file" into Folder X, users should be able to "Move, Copy, or ALIAS file" into Folder X. We need the ability to look at a file and clone it as an alias directly from the file. 

My folders are overflowing with duplicates and this has to stop. Additionally, Box should create a tool that says "find duplicates" and replace all but 1 with an alias. 

New Contributor

Re: Creating "File Aliases" to Reduce Duplicate Files (without using Bookmarks)

YES!!! This would be awesome!! 

Regular Visitor

Re: Creating "File Aliases" to Reduce Duplicate Files (without using Bookmarks)

I'm astonished this isn't already a feature; +1 from me.

war