How do I recover missing files?

New Contributor

How do I recover missing files?

I have missing files, they are not in my trash and they are not shared with any collaborators so cant be in theirs.  What do I have to do to recover missing files?

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: How do I recover missing files?

Hi @bgarrard,

Is your account a business account type?

If so, you can contact your Box admin to run a report on all the actions that happen within your business account. 

If the file was deleted within the last 30 days, you should be able to find the content within your trash.

New Contributor

Hi Howard, no its not a business account its a free account (does this mean you guys have a license to delete?).  I was considering subscribing to a plan before files started disappearing but now I'm very nervous about this.

There is nothing in my trash and I cant be sure when this started to happen or at this time exactly what is missing.   I know at least all my personal financial and tax records are missing for the last 5 years!   I think I can restore files from November last year when I took a local external hard-drive backup but didn't realise that there was a risk of loosing data on Box.com so I guess I will need to do this more often (and suggest to my clients to do the same) if I/they continue to use Box.

Any other ideas?  Ensuring files remain secure/available or restoring if something has gone wrong seems like basic functionality which should be available to all users of Box given file storage is what you do, don't you think?

Bryan

Community Manager

Hi @bgarrard,

If this is the case, I'd recommend that you submit a ticket with our support team since you do not have the ability to view the reports and all the actions on your account.

Your content is not removed unless you take the actions to move/delete it; if an item is ever deleted, depending on the account, there is a certain time duration before the file is permanently deleted from Box.

Thanks for clarifying and if you provide this context to the support agent, they can help assist!