Unable to Open PDF files using Box Drive/file explorer in Adobe Reader Touch, Drawboard, etc.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Unable to Open PDF files using Box Drive/file explorer in Adobe Reader Touch, Drawboard, etc.

After the recent Box Drive Windows update (Jan 2019), PDFs cannot be opened via file explorer/Box Drive in Windows Store Applications, including Adobe Reader Touch, Drawboard PDF, and possibly more Windows Store applications.

The error message that I keep getting is displayed below.
image.png

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Unable to Open PDF files using Box Drive/file explorer in Adobe Reader Touch, Drawboard, etc.

Hi @adam24,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Your post seems like it may require account specific information/configuration to help solve it. If so, you should contact Box Support to help you directly.

Thanks for using Box, and we look forward to helping you resolve this issue! Cheers!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Contributor

Re: Unable to Open PDF files using Box Drive/file explorer in Adobe Reader Touch, Drawboard, etc.

Hi France,

A case has not resolved this issue.

For additional background, this is not an isolated incident. It is occurring across many devices, and we have diagnosed this problem in detail to conclude its exact scope, including a fresh device wipe and clean install of Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise this week. 

Upon a fresh installation of Box Drive, the issues repeated.

Any devices that do not yet have a current installation of Box Drive still work.

Box Certified Professional

Hi @William_Box

I've tried to reproduce this issue and here are my steps.

Open explorer

Expand Box 

Browse to location with PDF

Doubleclick PDF

So far I have not received the problem you are describing.

Some variables I've tested

PDF collaborated with me with viewer access only

PDF collaborated ed with me with editor access

PDF I own not added collaborators

PDF I own and have collaboration with other users

Various size PDFs from about 6 megs down to a few KB

PDFs that existed before the update, and ones created after the update

I'm wondering if there is something going on with your cache folders.  By chance has your employer done any scripting to control the size of the drive cache or the user profile?

A little browsing found this article.

Another article related to the same type of error.

Contributor

Yes, in fact since we implemented Box Drive (right after its release), we configured CCleaner to delete Box cache files for security, but this has been disabled in the trial environment of these devices (including the device with a fresh installation of Windows 10 and Box Drive, which still produced the same errors).

Box Certified Professional

Did either of the linked articles seem helpful?

They report an issue with a Windows updated causing a problem that resembles your problem.

Contributor

Hi Rob,

Thank you, I have reviewed both articles. They’re reasonable theories, but I believe that since the issue affects multiple devices, and since we diagnosed this by a full wipe/clean install and received the same results, it seems the advice won’t help.

Its a reasonable theory that it’s caused by a recent Windows Update, but it’s only the last Box Drive update (possibly combined with the Windows Update) that was confirmed to be causing the problem. Because not every device in our system has processed the last Box Drive update, we were able to isolate the problem to the update.

Additionally, as a reminder, a workaround is downloading the file locally from Box and opening it in the app, and later reuploading it. But this is a really poor workaround, for obvious reasons.

First-time Contributor

Since the last update, impossible to read any pdf files !! Cannot find an easy solution !!

Thinking about quitting Box.com ...

Community Manager

Hi @Fab892 ,

Thank you for your post to the Box Community!

Are you getting the same error as the original poster? Unfortunately the community has not been able to recreate this issue, so your best option might be to contact Box Product Support directly. They can help you troubleshoot what might be happening and review any appropriate logs to diagnose.

Thanks again for your post!

-Scott