Transferring ownership of a folder from an employee no longer with the company

New Contributor

Transferring ownership of a folder from an employee no longer with the company

We have a folder that needs an ownership transfer as the employee owner is no longer with the company. How can I resolve this issue?

I've looked at all the previous "solutions" but they do not provide a resolution for this dilemma so please do not mark it solved with an antiquated many linked post that ends up showing how to manage collaborators.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Box Certified Professional

Re: Transferring ownership of a folder from an employee no longer with the company

Hi @JenniferHavill 

If this is an enterprise account then  your administrator should be able to log in to the account and set a new owner.

If you have a co-owner of the files you could have them move all of the items out of the folder and into a new folder with a different owner

The solution I would offer is to have a non-personal/service account that holds company data and move that type of data into folders owned by the company and not by an individual. 

Remember ownership follows the folder so if you move from the folder the old employee owned into a folder someone else owns, the new person is now the owner of those files.

Thanks
Rob

Re: Transferring ownership of a folder from an employee no longer with the company

Hi @JenniferHavill,

Thanks for your post in Box Community!

Just as what @Rob_Parrish has mentioned, your Admin can use the instant login feature to log in as the user via the Admin Console and complete process of transferring folder ownership from there.

I, personally find it much easier to simply use Content Manager to make this process a little easier. Here's how:

1. Go to Content Manager in your Admin Console
  2. Navigate to the user/folder that you're looking to transfer ownership of
  3. If the new Owner is not already a collaborator on the folder, invite them into that folder (as an Editor)
  4. Once the new Owner is a collaborator, you can select their current access level (Editor) and promote them to the Owner of the folder
  5. That's it!

Hope that helps! Thanks for coming to the Box Community, and have a great day.

New Contributor

I've asked our Admin to update the folder for us so that is our solution. Thanks.
Box Certified Professional

Hi @JenniferHavill 

I'm glad we were able to get you pointed in the right direction to get the data transferred!

Thank you

Rob

Thanks
Rob