Searching Box Drive on Desktop

Occasional Contributor

Searching Box Drive on Desktop

I would like to be able to search Box Drive folders on my desktop the same way I can search in windows explorer.

Is this possible? When I attempt to run a search nothing happens.

22 REPLIES 22
Box Certified Professional

Re: Searching Box Drive on Desktop

@slash751,

How are you searching that is returning no results? Are you using your desktop search tool? Box Drive has its own search. Click on the Box Drive icon and it will open the search window. It should also display the keyboard shortcut to open that search.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Occasional Contributor

I am searching in the Box Drive shortcut folder on my desktop.

C:\Users\username\Box\myfolder

When I search for a file name nothing is returned. 

If I go to the folder where the file is located and then search it is able to find it.

Box Certified Professional

@slash751,

Your built-in Windows search tool will not search Box Drive because your files are not the on the computer. Drive only has pointers to files. You need to use Box Drive's search to search Drive.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
jfo
New Contributor

Where is Box Drive's search in Windows? On a Mac there is a built-in pop-up Box Drive search, but I can't find it in Windows. 

Javier

jfo
New Contributor

Nevermind. It's in the tray icon – with a pop-up search bar.

First-time Contributor

The problem with this method, is that you can only search box as a whole. 

What I would like to do is search only within a certain section of box, but still a section that has several sub-folders. So it's quite a hindrance to have to do the same search in each sub-folder. But if I use the box search, then many hundreds of results are returned that I do not require.

What we really need is an update to the desktop app, which allows you to navigate the folders in a similar fashion to windows explorer and perform a search within a folder. Even just an update to the online box interface would help, as that, too, is limited to searching every sub-folder at once and returning all results. 

First-time Contributor

Agreed.  JasonBlee's suggested enhancement to Box Drive search would be very useful indeed, as would be the ability to preserve folder views between uses.  Essentially, the more Box Drive behaves like any other folder/subfolder/file structure on my computer, the more useful it becomes and the more I'm persuaded to continue using it.

New Contributor

Is there a roadmap for Box Drive is available with estimated dates for new functionality?

The lack of advanced searching compared to Box.com and Box Sync is very limiting. 

First-time Contributor

I am having the same issue. I have even set Box Drive do download the files to my desktop and my finder can't find them. I can search with the box search but since they are synced I don't understand why it wouldn't show files that have actually been downloaded? Also, it would be nice to have an indication of when Box Drive is syncing so I know when it is done. I am loving box drive to go between my desktop and laptop. 

Thanks

Jeremy

I am running an iMac on OS Mojave 10.14.2

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with one of my colleagues with not being able to search subfolders. It's ridiculous that Box forces users to search results from all of Box and sift through tons of things if the user can navigate to start the search.

Also, the search function does not work when offline since you can't use windows explorer's search function. This is a huge limitation for people who travel and don't have consistent internet.

I and my colleagues made the switch to Box Drive recently, but am having to start switching back until these issues are resolved.

I would also appreciate a follow-up from Box on a roadmap to address these issues.

Thanks,

Hi @jkoehler,

Thanks for posting in Box Community!

We appreciate you following up on this product feature request.

Currently our product team has not made any public announcements but I've seen a couple of 'similar feature requests' to leverage Box Drive's search functionality. If you'd like to provide your direct feedback or vote on an existing similar request, you can visit our feedback site at Box Pulse here.

Should any new functionality come out, we will definitely announce it in Box Product Updates. You can subscribe on this channel, just the click the "Options" menu and choose "Subscribe" to be updated on latest Box releases.

Thanks for your time in the Community and appreciate your help!

Tags (1)
First-time Contributor

OK, I'll switch over to MS OneDrive which has the functionality to search for files using Windows Explorer (just as a user would expect).

Occasional Contributor

I found this thread why trying to resolve the same issue. I think a workaround until Box implements better search functionality with Drive is to install both Drive AND Sync. I search the Sync files with explorer or my local index tool, but do my browsing or (crude) searching of non-synced Box files with Drive. 

This method is far from perfect, but at least I can enjoy the benefits from both tools at a slight compromise while waiting for the improvements.

note: So far, I have Sync files located in a different directory than the emulated fileset from Drive. I'm not sure if it will work with them being the same. I could see pros and cons of either strategy. 

note2: someone asked about finding where the actual files are located. on my Windows10 machine, they are encrypted (unusable) here: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Box\Box\cache

Hi @jimmylomax,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Box Drive and Box Sync are two of our tools that make accessing and working with your Box content much easier, but unfortunately they cannot coexist on the same computer as it may result in several issues

We recommend using Box Drive's search tool instead. You can use these keyboard shortcuts to brings up the Box Drive's Search UI:

• Mac: cmd + alt + ctrl + space
  • Windows: ctrl + alt + shift + b
  •  

Thanks for coming to the Box Community, and have a great day!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Occasional Contributor

We recommend using Box Drive's search tool instead.

Thanks for the reply... but... I'm having a hard tim to respond to this. The entire point of this thread is that the Box Drive search tool is terrible and almost unusable for anybody with a remotely sizable amount of digital content in their Box account. Does the issue make sense? I have hundreds... maybe thousands of folders and files. I find it unacceptable to search all of Box or going to the webpage every time I want to do a search as it is a major disruption in the flow for the end-user. This is not a training issue or user error.

I think we'd all appreciate a different approach more like, "In the new ways of developing software, we first work on the basic features to get it to the users as possible and then add additional features over time while continuously reassessing customer needs and wants so that once we can reallocate the resources we can work quickly and directly. We hear you. We understand there is a need for more features in our product. blah blah blah"

Box Drive and Box Sync are two of our tools that make accessing and working with your Box content much easier, but unfortunately they cannot coexist on the same computer as it may result in several issues

I'll post back if I have issues. So far, they seem to be coexisting fine. I figured there might be problems if I configured the fileset to exist in the same user folder. I put the Sync files right on my root file system folder. Maybe that is why it seems to be working for me. I also don't use Box Notes. If I begin to have issues before Box implements an improvement in the Drive search functionality, I will certainly be ditching Drive and "downgrading" back to Sync. 

I'm confident Drive will be amazing and I will be an early adopter promoting its use. But currently, as I have ample hard disk space to sync most of my critical content, I cannot recommend to users in a similar situation ditching Sync to move to Drive until it has been further developed.

Occasional Contributor

I just wanted to follow-up with my recent findings and thoughts now that I've learned both win10 and Box Drive a little better.

1) I am having the issues @France_V  indicated. While, the two Box apps did install and seem to work at first, once files start dynamically changing and updating, I am now getting sync errors. For now I will, unfortunately, uninstall Drive and go back to Sync.

2) As soon as Box Drive has better local search functionality, I'll be back. I agree with one of the previous comments that it should also be in design scope that searching is available while offline - even if that only includes "synced" files. In fact, if I could just search my synced files with windows explorer, I feel this would put Drive ahead of Sync in pretty much every way at that point even without a better improved Box Drive Search Tool. 

Hi @jimmylomax

I understand and appreciate your feedback! And you might want to submit this as feature request in Box Pulse. 

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. If you'd like to provide your direct feedback or vote on an existing request, you can visit our feedback site at Box Pulse here.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I am unable to create, comment, or upvote ideas it seems.

"Disabled by Administrator

This application cannot be used because it is not allowed by your Box administrator."

Anyway, to anyone following the thread, here are a couple related ones I found with a quick search. I agree and encourage all to go upvote. Unfortunately, I feel most of current requests aren't well written or very detailed. at any rate, this has the highest votes already, so perhaps someone could reference back to this thread or just add some of the points from it on the feature request. 

https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-feedback/suggestions/35983096-search-for-box-drive-content-from-...

https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-feedback/suggestions/35983240-drive-search-on-specific-folder

https://pulse.box.com/forums/909778-feedback/suggestions/36111418-drive-search-for-offline-files-whe...

Highlighted

Hi @jimmylomax,

Thanks for your post in the Community and we really appreciate you sharing your use case with us!

Our product teams review and respond to ideas posted in Box Pulse so I would definitely encourage you to add your vote and your voice there for this functionality – we aren't able to implement every idea, but the more details we know there about the use case and the impact, the better we are able to prioritize it.   

If you are getting a  message "Disabled by Administrator" when voting or submitting your feedback, you're going to have to reach to your Box Admin to enable Box Pulse for your enterprise.

Here's how:

• Navigate to the admin console.
  • Go to Enterprise Settings.
  • Hit Apps Tab.
  • Scroll down to Individual Application Controls and type in on the search bar Box Pulse

Thanks for your time in the Community and appreciate your help!

First-time Contributor

just to be clear, box drive search only searches file NAMES - there is no ability to search file contents like windows search does correct?

that is a major shortcoming.

New Contributor

Box Drive is a hot mess. 1 step forward and 100 steps backwards from Box Sync. Causes problems with Windows explorer views, lost ability to search granularly, slow file access. If I didn't just get a new PC, I would have stayed with Box Sync!

Occasional Contributor

If you have administrative privileges, you can uninstall drive and install sync. https://community.box.com/t5/Using-Box-Sync/Installing-Box-Sync/ta-p/85. If you don't and can't convince your IT support... may God have mercy on your soul.