Manually force an update for Box Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frequent Visitor

Manually force an update for Box Drive

Hi, Is there a way to manually force an update for Box Drive (or any other box applications)?

24 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Manually force an update for Box Drive

I have been confused by the Box Drive (semi) auto update procedure.  It works fine if you happen to be working on the computer when it decides to announce an update is available and asks if you want it installed.  If you are not working when that notice occurs, you appear to miss out.  I checked on my four computers and discovered a couple were still on the original Beta.  

The simple answer, however, is that Box seems to place the latest version on the download page (although they fail to provide version or date information there).  So, all we need to do is download from there and run that installer.  It does the update (and presumably is the same file downloaded for the auto updates).

I hope this is of help to some.  (By the way, the version number is available by right clicking the Box icon and selecting "About".)

Occasional Contributor

I keep getting the Box Update available pop-up, but clicking update does nothing at all except close the box. In a couple of minutes it will pop up again. What's the problem?

Community Manager

Hi @ccates22,

Did you quit Box Drive before clicking the prompt to update? Currently that is the proper way to update your Box Drive to the latest version and without quitting, you may fall into this loop.

The Box Drive is aware of this bug and currently is working on addressing this issue. Appreciate the patience and thank you for the understanding!

New Contributor

Just ran into this same issue. I saw the update request (assumed it was for Box Drive), but because I hadn't closed the Box folder it didn't update and I couldn't get it back. It would be helpful to see in the "My Applications" section in the URL instance of Box what current version I have loaded onto my device; as well as then a place to see what the most current version is available. Is there a place on your site that explains the different versions and what the updates are?

Community Manager

Hi @TamiDockendorf,

Yes you can check out our releases for certain products here at our product news blog here:

This is for Box Drive: https://community.box.com/t5/tag/box%20drive/tg-p/board-id/ProductNewsBlog

as well as our release notes here: https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Release-Notes/bg-p/Release-Notes

As for the update process of upgrading to the latest version, our Box Drive team is aware of this issue and is working on a smoother updating process! 

Hi, I want to update, but I can't seem to figure out how to quit box drive on my PC (running Windows 10) in order to allow it to update. I can quit it on my Mac, but I can't find how to do it on my PC. Do you have steps for how to do this?

sg_
Occasional Visitor

So...if the user quits Box, the update prompt goes away. The prompt is supposed to exit Box for the user and then install the update, but it seems to only exit Box. As a win10 user it seems I have no way to update.

I have the same question as @cgilling . I want to update but have no idea how to quit Box on my PC. If any one could share the steps on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

Occasional Contributor

@noemymwrote:

I have the same question as @cgilling . I want to update but have no idea how to quit Box on my PC. If any one could share the steps on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

(Windows 10 April 2018) To quit box on your PC, assuming your task bar is at the bottom of your screen (the default location), go to the right part of your task bar (bottom right of your screen) where you find a ^ (caret) sign. That is left of the time/date, network icon etc. Click on the ^ sign and it opens a set of icons. Microsoft calls that the overflow area, see https://www.windowscentral.com/tour-windows-10-taskbar-and-what-its-icons-do. One of those icons is the "box" icon. When you mouse over it it says "box drive" . Right click on the box icon and chose log out. You get a warning about losing files that have not finished uploading (note: box could do a lot better there and actually check if there are such files rather than me, the user, having to know). After you acknowledge the warning, you will be logged out and can then log back on. It will immediately show the log on screen. 

I hope this helps.

Bart

New Contributor

I'm in the same boat, but with a couple more questions:

If updating manually, can one update over the old version (one Win 7 PC has v. 1.2, another has v. 1.6), or is it advised to remove the old version and install fresh? 

Is reboot required at any step? 

I can't seem to find actual instructions for manually updating from early versions that didn't prompt the way they do now.

Community Manager

Hi @fiberhabit,

Thanks for your post. You're going to want to uninstall your current Box Drive and install the latest download installers here: box.com/drive

Any version before 1.7 will not auto update to the latest versions of Box Drive. 

New Contributor

Thanks, @Howard .  That's just what I needed to know. 

Have a great day.

New Contributor

Box.com/drive apparently does not exist

Hey, @henselwood!

Thanks for your post in the Community!

I tried to replicate this on my end and you might get a "The requested page does not exist." message when you search for Box.com/drive in your address bar and you are not logged in to your Box account. The link should work after you've logged in Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Hi. I am logged in. Still does not work.

I  would add that one of my computers at work shows thumbnails for image files while others do not. Our graphic design team is beyond frustrated. Why would some computers show the actual image thumbnails (not generic symbols) while others do not? All are PCs on Windows 10. Thank you for your help.

Mike

Hi @MikeSab76,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I checked with the team, and turns out they've updated this link. You can find the correct link on this article:

Regarding the thumbnails, they should only be displayed once you have opened the file on Box Drive. Once Box Drive has cached the file, then it is able to display the thumbnail. 

Hope that helps and let the community know if you have anything else to share!

New Contributor

Should V1.13.84 automatically update?

New Contributor

Question about the thumbnails and cached files: How many files will be cached?  How are they pushed out of the cache? FIFO? 

I would echo the frustration by graphics designers:  ours have the same problem and it is bordering on fatal. I have not been assured that BOX is taking that problem seriously.  They still describe it as a "feature suggestion", and don't recognize it as a critical function for a large number of the users working with images.

Hi @Eric,

Great news!

I've received a word from our developers that Box Drive v1.15.131 has been released and is now available for download so you should be seeing the prompt to update in the app now.

Regarding your other question about files Box Drive can cache:

Box Drive's cache size limit is based on your free disk space (50% of available space) and has a maximum limit of 25 GB. Once this limit has been reached, files that have gone un-accessed the longest will be removed first. Also, if a cached file has a new version created on Box, Box Drive will discard the locally cached version.

More information can be found on this KB article discussing the comparison between Box Drive vs Box Sync.

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

New Contributor

Je recevais des notifications me recommandant d'installer la version 1.16.88. Après divers essais et recherches, je suis allée sur
https://www.box.com/fr-fr/resources/downloads/drive

J'ai télécharger la version pour Windows qu'il me fallait, sans rien désinstaller.

Je reçois une notification qui me dit qu'à présent, je suis bien rentrée dans les clous.

Bonjour, @mlmo!

This community is primarily intended for English language speakers. If you are able to post your question in English, the community may be better able to assist. Google Translate or other tools may help!

If any community members are able to understand and help @mlmo, it would be greatly appreciated!

New Contributor

I received notifications from Box recommending to install version 1.16.88. After various tests and searches, I went to https://www.box.com/fr-fr/resources/downloads/drive, and I simply downloaded the version for Windows I needed.The notification tells me now that everything is ok.

Occasional Visitor

how do you quit box drive so the update will begin

Hi @jrutter,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Have you checked out this article discussing on how to Update your Box Drive?

To Quit Box Drive, navigate to the search menu by clicking on the Box icon in your Menu Bar/ System tray and click on the gear icon then select the Quit/Exit option. You will be prompted with a dialog to close any open files and confirm your intent to quit the application.

Hope that helps! Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.