Mac Box app Error Code -36

Occasional Contributor

Mac Box app Error Code -36

I get this frequently for either Numbers or OmniOutliner files, i.e.:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Botox area units.numbers” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

27 REPLIES 27
Community Manager

Re: Mac Box app Error Code -36

Hi @ubercool,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Thanks for the detailed question! Could you clarify if you see this happen when opening Numbers in Box Sync or in general?

Do you have a screenshot or more info to show what you're seeing?- that'll really help the community figure this out for you!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Occasional Contributor

Oh so you don't believe me, huh? Smiley Wink

Box screenshot 10-2-17 10.33.jpg

Community Manager

Hi @ubercool,

A picture never hurts Smiley Happy 

As for the error, this seems like a Mac error. I searched the error and found that there are some recommended steps here:

http://osxdaily.com/2015/02/21/fix-error-code-36-finder-mac-os-x/

I'm not sure if this is related to Box, but do you mind checking out the article for first steps?

Occasional Contributor

If it's a Mac error, why don't I get that with Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud or OneDrive? Yes I use them all.

First-time Contributor

I did the dot_clean on the whole directory and on the particular file. I still have the problem. 

image.png

Occasional Contributor

I upgraded to 1.3.124 and I still get this error:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “1112 Ubercool products.oo3” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

When are you going to fix this? You continue to be the only cloud backup service that can't handle a simple Mac folder backup.

Box Employee

Hi @ubercool,

Sorry to hear that you still experiencing an issue with Box Drive.

Will you try resetting your Box driveFollow the steps for your operating system below:

1. Check your unsyncedFiles folder for any unsaved files before proceeding. If any files exist in this folder, please copy them out to your Desktop or another location. This unsyncedFiles folder is located at /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Box/Box/unsyncedFiles.
  2. Click on the Box icon in the Mac menu bar. This should launch the Box Drive search tool. 
  3. Click the Gear icon and select Quit.
  4. Navigate to the location below in Finder:
    • /Library/Application Support/Box/clean_box_desktop_artifacts
    • Please note: the Library folder above is under your root directory (typically "Macintosh HD"). It is not referring to the Library folder under your user profile home folder. 
  5. Double-click on the clean_box_desktop_artifacts file. 
  6. Re-launch Box Drive and you should be prompted to login. Box Drive can be launched from the following location:
    • /Applications/Box.app

Hope it helps!

Occasional Contributor

Did all that, same error.
Community Manager

Hi @ubercool,

Thanks for your post and working through these suggestions!

Let's get your Box Drive logs and show this to the support team. 

You should already mention to them the steps you took here on the Community and contact Box Support to help you directly.

New Contributor

There are problems with this step by step as Box outlines, both in its outlining and its mechanics:

First off, your step by step doesn't take into account that the ~/Library folder is hidden, and many Mac users who will be looking for this remedy via search, and find it, may not know that the way to get to their personal Library folder is to hold down the option key while dropping down the "Go" Menu in finder, and selecting Library from there.

Second, and this is a mechanical limitation: The cleanup script for desktop artifacts has to be run by an administrator. This is a problem because good Mac network management doesn't allow regular users to have an administrator account, which is the case in the networks I manage. And since the script has to be run in the account that's having the trouble with Box Drive, it entails going into Terminal while logged into the non-administrator account, su-ing as an administrator in the shell, then having to sudo -s, then executing the script in command line, but, only after physically editing the script to home in on the user's Library folder, instead of the administrator user.

In other words, you are requiring a network administrator to be hands on a user's Mac every time Box Drive messes up and has to be reset — which incidentally, has had to be done at least once on -every- one of 25 Macs in this network that subscribes to it over the one and a half months they've been a subscriber.

You really need a better mechanic for resetting Box Drive by a regular user from the gui, or to make your app less buggy on MacOS. Preferrably both.

First-time Contributor

I am having the exact problem with the new box app

Community Manager

Hi @DanFr

Welcome to the Box Community, and thanks for your first post in the forum!

If you've already tried the other suggestions in this discussion, I agree with @Howard that the best course of action is to get your Box Drive logs into the hands of the Box support team. 

Use one of the available options to contact Box Support, and be sure to tell them the steps you've already tried here. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

First-time Contributor

Is there a solution to this issue? It is definitely box specific —I can copy the files in question to any Mac folder without any error, except the box folder, which gives the error 36.

Occasional Contributor

Box never addressed it, apparently they don’t care.
First-time Contributor

Is there any updates on this issue? I am having this exact same trouble lately. And it is Box specific, as I have tried dropbox and google drive, they both work.  

Hi @HonglinFeng,

So sorry that you had encountered this error message in your Box app. We may need to dig deeper into this and it may require account specific information/configuration to solve it.

Please reach out to Box User Services to help you further investigate.

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Occasional Visitor

I just got my box account and am have the same error (Error code -36). In my case these are Omnigraffle "files" with the extension  .graffle.   Attempting to transfer these files always throws (Error code -36) .   This "file" is actually a package (actually a directory of stuff , a Mac specific thing. This is also true of Numbers files ... ending with the .numbers extension.

My question to Box is, will you support importing/ using "files" that are in the Mac package format, as described here Mac OS Package ? If not, Box has very limited utility for me, and I speculate, other  Mac users.

Hi @Greg_Harhay,

Your post seems like it may require account specific information/configuration to help solve it. If so, you should contact Box Support so they can they a closer look and help you directly.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same here and really need to store .graffle files. Any work arounds?

First-time Contributor

I have been experiencing the same issue. This process resolved the problem for me.

First-time Contributor

jeh4, what was the process that resolved the issue for you?

First-time Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem will .numbers and .pages files. I cannot upload to my university's Box file without Box throwing an error code -36. How do I solve this problem?

Occasional Contributor

Delete Box, that’s what I did.
New Contributor

Re: Mac Box app Error Code -36. Submitted as case # 1828748 Jan 22, 2019.

@Greg_Harhay wrote:

My question to Box is, will you support importing/ using "files" that are in the Mac package format, as described here Mac OS Package ? If not, Box has very limited utility for me, and I speculate, other  Mac users.

I don't think box folks realize this is a show stopper for *many* mac folks, especially as Dropbox, Onedrive, and (I believe) BoxSync did not have this problem. See also https://community.box.com/t5/Desktop-and-Mobile-Forum/Best-Practices-iWork-Integration-Keynote-Numbe...

I also posted at above link that II Submitted an urgent Case #1828748: On Mac, Box Drive always fails with error if you try to create or sync any Keynote, Pages, or TextEdit files in Box (.pages keynote .key .graffle)

https://community.box.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/BoxViewTicketDetail?ticket_id=1828748 

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

I was using Box Sync with my old Mac with no issues at all. I've just got a new Mac and installed Box Drive, but Box Drive has an error updating three .app folders (made using the Mac's automator). In other words, I have these folders in the Box cloud, but Box Drive can't deal with them.

I tried copying these three .app folders directly into Box Drive and got Error Code 36.

In Box Drive, the issue is given as:
Unable to Download Mac Packages From Box.com
Mac Packages aren't yet supported.

This issue has been going on for some time now and it's fairly clear that the problem lies with Box, specifically Box Drive. Why isn't it fixed?

New Contributor

I have been getting the same error trying to copy old Pages and Numbers documents using Box Drive. I have been able to copy/move such files after "upgrading" them to a newer Pages or Numbers format--the option comes up in a dialog when saving the file after opening it in the most recent versions of Pages and Numbers (7.3, on High Sierra). This is not really an acceptable workaround for the large number of old files I want to keep, but don't actively need to use.

New Contributor

I just successfully uploaded some of the same old-version Pages and Numbers documents using the web interface. I was then able to navigate to one of them and open it in Box Drive. A slightly better workaround, but still far from ideal.