How to hide some folders from Box Drive

Occasional Contributor

How to hide some folders from Box Drive

I just upgraded to the Box Drive 2.0.70 which supports syncing folders offline etc.  

Now I see every Box folder in Box Drive, even the ones I have marked to not sync in the online interface. This is a big problem as we don't want some folders with sensitive information to appear on our laptops at all. Yes, I know they are not actually physically there, but  anyone that has access to the PC will be able to access these sensitive files.

Is there a way to hide these folders from Box Drive so that they don't show on local drives?  The older version of Box Drive did not show these folders. 

Tags (1)
22 REPLIES 22
Community Manager

Re: How to hide some folders from Box Drive

Hi @johnhugh,

Thanks for sharing and starting this discussion about Box Drive's launch coming soon end of October. 

The idea of Box Drive is to make sure the same folders accessible online on Box.com are available in the Box Drive folder so this is expected behavior even with the Mark for Offline feature. If you wish for someone not to have access to the folder, you can remove the person from the folder online and the folder will disappear in the Box Drive folder as well. 

Could you explain your concern about "anyone accessing files"? If a laptop is stolen, there are preventive measures to take to remove access to all Box applications: https://community.box.com/t5/Account-Info-Troubleshooting/My-Laptop-or-Mobile-Device-Was-Stolen-How-...

First-time Contributor

The initial question isn't really about security/removing access. It's about de-cluttering Box Drive by having the ability to designate content (e.g. folders, etc.) to not show up in Box Drive's desktop folders, while still keeping that content stored in Box. I have the same complaint about Box Drive. 

Occasional Contributor

So, we have sensitive customer files on Box in the cloud.  We have regulations that require us to not store this information locally on a laptop or other portable device.  With Box Sync we can mark those folder to not sync.  This is the security we need.  To access those files someone would need a web login to Box.  

With Box Drive, the folders show up in the file system. So if someone were to access a laptop it is the same as if it were physically there.  Yes, you can remove that user from the folder, but it might a a few day until it's known that the laptop was stolen or compromised and too late to prevent the theft of information. So I don't think we can use Box Drive.

First-time Contributor

I concur.  There are hundreds of folders on Box but only a handful I use regularly.  With Box Sync I only saw the folders I needed.  Now I see everything.  Very different behavior.

First-time Contributor

I'll add my request to develop a feature that allows one to hide, or prioritize folders for the desktop client. I switched from Sync, which only showed the folders I requested be sync'd to Drive, which is showing me every folder that's ever been shared with me. Would be great to somehow hide, or send those I don't care about, to the bottom of the listing. I saw someone suggest sorting the folders by date modified, but when I'm hunting for documents, I'm looking at folders alphabetically, so using date modified would just be annoying.

Thanks for listening to the feedback!

First-time Contributor

I would also add a request for selectively showing/hiding folders in Box Drive. Some of us have dozens of shared folders, but only need full time access to a handful. The ability to show or hide those folders is essential.

As an alternative, the ability to move shared folders from the top level of Box Drive into a sub folder, without changing ownership or permissions of that folder, would also work. 

The issue is about organization, and not being overloaded with an excessive number of choices. Let the user organize, or show/hide the folders they need. 

Box Drive has potential, but for now Box Sync is more flexible and usable.

Hey @cdye and @notmyrealname,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

We appreciate both of the your feedback and having the hide/unhide option in Box Drive sounds like a really interesting idea!

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback and share your use case on how this feature can help your organization, you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Occasional Contributor

@frances_V 

I think the ability to hide folders from Box Drive is a great idea from a file management perspective too.  I hope this gets added.

First-time Contributor

Please add this feature. There are a variety of folders from old projects of mine (or that I've been invited to join as a collaborator) that I do not want to delete but I also do not want to have to see / scroll through every day on my desktop.

Let me hide / archive / unsync them!

Hi @dtm2,

There's an existing product feedback request for the ability to hide folders from Box Drive our Pulse site here, you can up-vote and comment on the chain to add how this would be helpful in your organization.  

Have a great day and thanks for using Box!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

To add - this behaviour is unintuitive having seen this and read the Drive vs Sync comparison beforehand. That the Drive app maps the entirety of ones online folders to the offline filesystem and then downloads them as the folders are viewed, seems to render the "sync to desktop" option redundant.

Like many on here, I have sensitive files in a folder which I don't wish to be accessible on my work laptop, but the other folders are all work shares. With the current implementation it seems my previous strategy of manually downloading folder shares was safer, notwithstanding that loses sync update functionality.

First-time Contributor

I cannot vote up the feature request as my company that has purchased box blocks us from signing in to vote for the feature. I work for a LARGE corporation and there are probably 200 folders that I have access to, and only about 10 that I have synched to my local computer. Even the 10 that I have synched are not the root folder, but only sub-folders. This viewing ALL folders makes it almost unusable to have synched content. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do something about this and restore the ability to see on my local computer ONLY the synched folders. The present functionality is interesting but different than synchronizing to the remote folder, it is a local VIEW of the remote content.

Hi @dcohen10,

We went ahead and counted your vote in Box Pulse for that feature to Hide folders from Box Drive  and subscribed you to that post so when its gets updated, you will be notified.

But just to give you a quick update on that feature, our Product team is now Researching on it so, hopefully it gets implemented in the future.

Also, for your reference, if you are getting a  message "Disabled by Administrator" when voting or submitting your feedback, you're going to have to reach to your Box Admin to enable Box Pulse in the App section for your enterprise.

Here's how:

• Navigate to the admin console.
  • Go to Enterprise Settings.
  • Hit Apps Tab.
  • Scroll down to Individual Application Controls and type in on the search bar Box Pulse

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for using Box!

Occasional Contributor

I'm very happy to hear the Dev team is taking this request seriously 🙂

First-time Contributor

I also cannot upvote this because I am a part of a larger organization, but without this feature BoxDrive is nearly impossible for me to use.  I have about 30 folders shared with me.  This would be manageable if I could at least put these shared folders into one single folder or folder them by groups so they are out of the way, but this is also oddly not a feature.  Why is this also not possible?

Hi @grammer,

We can go ahead and add your vote if you are not able to up vote this feature request as you are restricted by your organization.

Regarding the idea of a way to organize content that are shared to you, our product team is currently researching on a similar idea:

Let me know if you would like us to include your vote to get notified of updates from this thread.

Thanks for sharing your feedback and have a nice weekend!

New Contributor

I too cant vote because its disabled by a fortune 100 company's IT department. It will be little use reaching out to them to change that...

I would vote as many times as I could. Box Drive is lacking usability that Box Sync had. A big component is the ability to hide, or not show locally, specific folders and/or anything I haven't decided to sync locally. We are collaborators on 100s of folders across our org, but I only use 5-10 regularly. Those are the ones I want offline access to. The other 90-95, I'd love to maintain my access for when we need to reference things, but I don't want to surf through that list on a regular basis locally. Especially when others in those folders may make updates that aren't relevant to me, but which then make their "Date Modified" refresh so as to break any filtering ability by date/modification.

Box Drive also seems FAR less stable than Sync. It crashes regularly on large presentation opening, whether synced locally or not.

Hi @jmrNike 

Thanks for chiming in on this thread!

If Box Pulse is disabled by your admin, we can add your vote and subscribe you to the feature I linked above to receive updates.

New Contributor

I have about 500 folders shared with me but I only use 4 of them on a regular basis. Not sure how Box dev missed this requirement. To declutter my Box folder I have no choice but to go back to Box Sync.

First-time Contributor

You can add the votes of all 350 of my regional employees as I manage IT in APAC for our 5000+ Global corp but even I am blocked  from voting.

I am currently in the process of UNINSTALLING Box Drive due to the glaring feature omission and have moved my files to ONEDRIVE.

We were planning on pushing BOX DRIVE globally later this year but without this feature I will be recommending we do not and researching alternatives, possibly a push to alternatives.

Thanks for voicing our concerns as it potentially is a great product and have enjoyed BOX SYNC

First-time Contributor

Can't agree more. The ability to choose which folder to be synchronized is the key feature. It is supprise to find out box.com doesn't have it. After the POC, we have decided to uninstall box.com and move to OneDrive too. 

First-time Contributor

Agree some form of this would be a useful feature. FWIW, my workaround is going to be tagging the directories I most care about in the MacBook's Finder application so they rise to the top of my Box Drive folder. That seems to have worked for now as an alternative to slogging through a bunch of folders that have been shared with me (that I rarely need).