Deleting Synced Files from Remote Computer

SOLVED
Go to solution
New Contributor

Deleting Synced Files from Remote Computer

Hello, Box community...

So here's the scenario. I have a local machine with several GB of synced data. I have another machine in a remote location that is synced to the same data. I want to keep the data that is on Box, and ensure that:

- it deletes from the remote computer

- it does NOT delete from Box

- it stays synced on the local machine

If I unsync the folder on Box, will it remove the data from the remote computer, or do I need to connect to that device after unsyncing, and remove the data manually?

If someone connects to the remote computer after I unsync the folder, and they delete the data manually, will it delete the data from Box?

Thanks,

D

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Deleting Synced Files from Remote Computer

Hi @geauxvols,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

If you have a Box folder marked to Sync to your desktop but would no longer want it to be Synced, you just need to simply unsync it to remove it from your computer. When you unsync a folder, you are only removing it from your computer ﹣ it remains in Box cloud account and this action must be taken from the Box web application (Box.com).

Check out this article on Unsyncing a Folder to learn more. 

Thanks for posting in the Box Community, and let me know if you have any questions!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
New Contributor

"If you have a Box folder marked to Sync to your desktop but would no longer want it to be Synced, you just need to simply unsync it to remove it from your computer. When you unsync a folder, you are only removing it from your computer ﹣ it remains in Box cloud account and this action must be taken from the Box web application (Box.com)."

I have done this, but the question was about the files on the remote computer. I no longer have access to that machine. If I unsync the folder and the files contained therein, does it remove them from the remote computer (which is still logged into Box, I might add), or will they stay there and require manual removal?

Community Manager

Hi @geauxvols,

Like Francia said, when you unsync a folder, the Box Sync folder when logged in will remove the folder from the computer and the user cannot access the folder from Box Sync anymore.

Whoever access the remote computer with Box Sync, they will see the folder containing the files not appear in their Box Sync folder once Box Sync scans and recognizes that the designated folder has been unsynced. 

Hope that clarifies.