Box tools and Firefox Extended Service Release (ESR)

Highlighted
Contributor

Box tools and Firefox Extended Service Release (ESR)

Having an issue with FireFox ESR (52.7.3) and Box Tools (4.1.9) where Box Tools are not allowing users to open Office or other file types from the WebUI.  Users can open Office docs and Google docs online, and Box Notes without receiving this error.  The ESR version is the most current release by Mozilla so it **shouldn't** be caught up in the "most recent two versions" policy.  

4-11-Issue2.PNG

As you can see it also doesn't recognize Box Tools as being installed even though they are and they work with other browsers. 

4-11-Issue1.PNG

Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue crop up?  I have been in contact with Box support about this issue.

Cheers,

Steve

9 REPLIES

Re: Box tools and Firefox Extended Service Release (ESR)

I have the same problem today; it was working perfectly fine yesterday. Did you find a way t resolve it? Thanks.

Contributor

Not as yet.  I would suggest that you open a ticket with Box Support as well so that they know this is a problem.

Thanks,

Steve

New Contributor

Having same problem. Any new info on this?

Contributor

The response from Box support has been underwhelming and along the lines that when Mozilla updates ESR (in May) to ver 60 it will work.  So I recommend submitting a support request.

Having the same issue.

Just submitted a ticket with box support.

Contributor

All,

In a phone call with our Box rep earlier today the bottom line is that Box (development) consciously chose not to support Firefox ESR in the latest version of Box tools and is not planning on “fixing” the issue before the next ESR (ver 60) release in May.  I asked if this means that we should expect to see this problem again once the regular release version exceeds that of the next ESR version and the answer was, “yes”.

While there are other browsers to choose from this does create a problem for enterprises that prefer to deploy the Firefox ESR version in their images.  If this is important to your organization, please let Box know.

Box Employee

Hi All,

Thanks for your concerns regarding the support for Firefox ESR versions.

Because Box Tools v4 requires the use of a feature only available in Firefox v55+, the latest ESR version (currently on v52) will not be compatible with Box Tools v4. While we expect Box Tools v4 to work in Firefox v55+, any issues reported will need to be reproduced in the latest two major versions of Firefox in order to receive support from Box. 

Please see our Box Tools v4 Known Issues and our Policy for Browser and OS Support articles for more details.

Thanks,

Alan

Box User Services

Occasional Visitor

Hi Everyone,

If your organization supports the use of Firefox Release Version 59.0.2 (Firefox Quantum) it will fix this Box Tools issue. If not, then you need to use the work-around Box mentions and wait until May for the Extended Service Release Version 60.

Another alternative work-around is using Box Sync. You can open and save (to Box) just like you are using My Documents.

firefox/59.0.2 Download link-scroll to down of page.

Thanks

Firefox ESR 52.8.0 was released on May 9th. there is no ESR 60. This is a big inconvenience to those at larger institutions that are not allowed to use a version of Firefox that is not approved for use. I would recommend that this issue be addressed quickly.