Box Sync No Longer Working

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Box Sync No Longer Working

There is no longer the Sync icon in my bottom toolbar and even after a reboot it still doesn't show.  Nothing syncs anymore.  Need help.

6 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Box Sync No Longer Working

Hi @GalateaRose,

Thanks for your post and question!

Sorry to hear about this issue as this is not expected behavior with Box. That Box icon indicates Box Sync is running so the fact you don't see it indicates the program is not running. Can you try to run the application from your taskbar or application program window? Do you see an error?

Appreciate the clarity!

New Contributor

Hi, I'm in a similar situation.

Sometime last week, Box Sync blue check boxes disappeared on my folders and there is no longer sync with the server. Box app is running when I look the Task Manager, but the icon is not shown on the task bar icons. I tried to manually launch it, but nothing seems to work. I tried to end Box task, but Windows is not able to kill it. I tried to do a repair, but is it not working neither, I did multiple system reboots, but no luck.

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest Box Sync app.

New Contributor

I was able to finally uninstall the app, by first going in the Task Manager -> Startup to deactivate Box Sync startup, then reboot, then do the uninstall, as even there, repair did not work. Once uninstalled, I rebooted to be sure Windows would really delete it and then I reinstalled it... all went fine, but after the reboot, I'm in the same situation where the Box process is shown on Task Manager, but even when I launch it manually, I still can't use it....

Community Manager

Hi @JF_Matte,

Oh man, sorry to hear all the work you've done and how Box Sync is still not working. 

This should be with our support team to help you through the steps and perhaps check out your Box Sync logs with you. 

Box Certified Professional

Im having the same problem with several users here as well. I am opening a ticket and will let everyone know what happens. Seems to be a wide spread issue.

New Contributor

Finaly, I was able to make it work again.

To do so, I had to follow all the steps listed here "https://community.box.com/t5/Using-Box-Sync/Uninstalling-Box-Sync/ta-p/51105" and then do the re installation.

If all the docs were sync before the issue, then you won't loose anything, if files were created in the meantime, better to get them sync over the web page and once the tool is reinstalled, they will be shown on the computer.

So I don't know what is the root cause, but clearly something got corrupted either in the registry or the hidden box folders and deleting all of them fixed the issue... hopefully for good.

Box said that I should start to think to use Box Drive, but althought it is a bit faster than using the web site, it is never as convenient as Box Sync... well for now..

Thanks to Ashlyn for her support.