Box Drive and Offline File access

Highlighted
New Contributor

Box Drive and Offline File access

Can you provide an update on when Box Drive will provide offline file access?

16 REPLIES

Re: Box Drive and Offline File access

Hi @CharlesAtmore,

Thanks for your post in the Community!

There is still no update on when will Box Drive be available for offline access but you can check our Community page for Product News for you to be updated. 

Many thanks for your patience and understanding, please let the community know if you have anything else to share!

New Contributor

The message has been tagged with "Solved! Go to Solution."  but that is not correct. This is definitely not a solution.

We are currently forced to switch from Sync to drive, Sync is no more available (We are writing to inform you that we will be postponing the deprecation date of TLS 1.0 across all Box services to June 25, 2018, to provide additional time to make necessary changes in your environment.)

... and then,  there are no solutions for users needing to work while travelling (without IP connection). This is quite a critical situation.

Hi @PascalV,

Thanks for your post!

Have you checked out this article: Deprecation: TLS 1.0 Encryption Protocol , yet?

We are still supporting Box Sync so you can continue using the application for offline access of your Box contents.

In relation to the upcoming TLS 1.0 deprecation, we shared on this article that you just need to ensure that your Box members/users are on the Minimum Compliant Version for Box Sync which is Ver. 4.0.7900+ (Mac & Windows) to be compliant.

If you need more tips and to know what steps you need to take in order to prepare your team to be TLS 1.1+ compliant, please check our article here

Hope that helps! 

New Contributor

Thank you very much for the explanation. With the various warnings, I did, a bit too quickly, jumped to the conclusion that Box Sync was deprecated.

My main excuse for that mistake is that there is no more trace of Box Sync anywhere on the main download pages ( https://www.box.com/resources/downloads )

You may want to maintain some higher visibility of the sync tool until main critical  Drive issues are fixed.

For me, it would be local storage for specific folders, MacOS package synchronisation, correct MacOS Preview of files

Occasional Contributor

@PascalV wrote:

....You may want to maintain some higher visibility of the sync tool until main critical  Drive issues are fixed.

For me, it would be local storage for specific folders, MacOS package synchronisation, correct MacOS Preview of files

For me, it's Spotlight integration, but I think its connected to offline access 😬 Was really hoping to get my hands on it during the summer, together with the Box Drive beta for macOS Mojave....well, tough luck Smiley Sad 

Frequent Visitor

Any beta to try?

I really need drive, so I can't return to sync for offline

Hi @Cookies,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

We do not have a Beta version for you to try but rest assured that our developers and engineering team are continuously working on this. We will definitely let you know once we have further update.

Stay subscribed for more news about Box Drive and all Box products in the blog here!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Can you please tell us when the sync to offline will be available for testing.  I am a wldlife biologist and I ofter work in places with no access.  My university IT guy pretty much booted me off BoxSync and I am REALLY upset about not being able to sync.

It seems very poor management to release BoxDrive without a sync.  What were you thinking??

I liked the flag "Solved!" and the solution is "it's not there and we don't know when it will be there"... That sums up what has been going on for YEARS with that feature (it was already a discussion long before drive beta was released).

I moved to Egnyte at my old shop because it addresses that features (and adds many more IMHO - local cache server, much more granular security). I haven't pushed for a migration to Egnyte yet at my new job but with the delay and lack of visibility on offline access from drive may do the trick.

Occasional Contributor

Wow.

There is no more Sync for MAC because BOX wants to have offline access as a paying feature.

Actually removing a feature that was there all along.

Congrats.

Goodbye.

Occasional Contributor

Using Box Sync for Mac, you can easily sync desktop files with Box and collaborate on shared folders right from your desktop. Get notifications when a shared file you synced is uploaded. Learn more about Sync.

To enable this you must upgrade to Box Business.

Community Manager

Hi @zabbaskeema,

Thanks for your post, but I think you're referring to an old forum topic that's incorrect regarding Box Sync.

Box Sync is available for any account personal or business; you can follow the steps here in this article:

Hope that clarifies your question, but to bring this back to the original forum topic, the ability to sync content offline is available on Box Sync and currently in progress for Box Drive. Soon, Box Drive will have the ability to mark content offline feature similar to Box Sync. Check out the differences here at this article!

Occasional Contributor

Hi Howard, that is correct!

I am puzzled.

From the Box app web page when I click the sync application I get directed to a page that asks me to subscribe to pro to get the sync app.  

Thanks for that direct link to the pkg file!

Patrick

Occasional Contributor

In fact it does not work!

I installed sync and I cannot login with a weird message (I am logged in ok in Box Drive):

Screenshot 2018-09-03 18.47.38.png

You can't run Box Drive and Sync at the same time.

I just received an email that box sync will be deprecated on 11/12/18 and I need to move to box drive. Does anyone have a date of when offline sync will work with box drive. Box is useless to me without this feature.

Users online (405)