Box Drive Mark for Offline

New Contributor

Box Drive Mark for Offline

Box Drive is promising to be a great tool. And it would finally solve the only nagging issue with Boxy Sync and that is not having control over which files are synced on which device.

However, the product does not seem to be ready. There is not yet off-line syncing at all possible. That's sort of OK on the desktop at home, but how do you work on your laptop when travelling, usually having poor/no online connections? 

Next it appears that on the Mac packages are not yet supported. So how do I work on my Rapidweaver files, or my screenflow projects (they are stored as package-files)?

Any new product will have its quirks in the beginning, and that is no problem, as long as you can use the old method alongside, no problem. But Box Sync and Box Drive cannot be installed on the same system....!

So I guess the best for now is to uninstall Box Drive, re-install Box Sync and wait until Box Drive is ready? Does anybody have any insight into how long that will take? 

25 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: When will Box Drive be ready?

Hi @wjdrijfhout,

Thanks for your post. You are correct that we do not support Box Sync and Box Drive running at the same time. Check out this article here: https://community.box.com/t5/Getting-Started-with-Box-Drive/Box-Drive-vs-Box-Sync/ta-p/35829

I can give you a little insight for Box Drive's roadmap. The Box Drive team is planning to have Mark for Offline as a feature for Box Drive, and this will eventually lead to the replacement of Box Sync. Stay tuned for those development news in the coming months.

We appreciate the interest in Box Drive and if you have any feedback regarding other features you'd like to see, please share with us by submitting a ticket here.

New Contributor

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. 

Unfortunately it does not alter anything that at this point Box Drive is of little to no use to me and others that will travel from time to time and need some level of off-line access. Lets hope that 'coming months' wont take too long...

First-time Contributor

Is there any update in the status of Box Drive supporting offline mode?

Box Employee

Hi @N69Cw696T46686,

Thanks for your post and feedback!

We appreciate you following up on this product feature request. Currently our product team has not made any public announcements about this feature, but please continue to kudos or share your use case with us to show how this would benefit you. If you have not already submit a case to Box support, please share it with our team.

Thanks for your time in the Community and appreciate your help!

First-time Contributor

When we purchased Box it was based on the recent release of Box Drive beta and a promise that SYNC would soon be integrated. Our sales rep told us it would be rolled out by Q1 2018 (almost 1 year after our original purchase), but clearly that has come and gone.  I understand the reticence to publish the date in writing, as the BOX team is clearly behind. Without this feature (and de facto without searching synced files via native OS search), BOX does not meet our requirements.  I am willing to wait until this year's contract is up (2 years) for a promise date on this feature.

Community Manager

Hi @sdfdfssd,

Thanks for your post and sharing. The mark for offline feature for Box Drive is something that the team is currently working on, and we are looking to have a beta testing period for it soon. I would speak with your representative if you already have one to see if this is a possibility. 

Understand the need for this feature, so if you have the chance, talk to your rep about this opportunity. For everyone else, the Box Drive Mark for Offline feature has been on our roadmap and we are targeting to have a GA release in the coming months. 

Thanks everyone for sharing your feedback and requests!

First-time Contributor

Seriously - this is a huge flaw in BOX. I have taken hours to sort through the different downloads, etc. So now I need to set up something different on my laptop, because as most people who work on laptops - we don't always have access to internet or satellite. And strange things happen when I am on my laptop - like I can't open Microsoft word or my PDF's. Not sure how much longer I am willing to wait. 

First-time Contributor

Thanks for the updates. I like that Box Drive doesn't immediately sync everything, but being able to mark specific files or folders for offline access is a must. I travel a lot without consistent wifi access, and I'm currently rolling the dice whether I can access my files or not.

Another important thing is improving the integration with Windows Explorer so it doesn't freeze up folder windows or apps when you try to open a file when offline. It's not clear at first that Box Drive is causing the freeze, and a simple timeout plus notification popup would make the UX much nicer.

I submitted a case as you recommended. Hope to see these improvements soon!

Occasional Contributor

Just adding my voice to that feature request. N

Well, not really a feature request but more something  like "give us back what was working great in "Sync"

Hi @PascalV

We hear you and we'll definitely post updates on Community page for Product News as soon as this feature is made available for Box Drive so please look forward to it.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Stay subscribed for more news about Box Drive and all Box products in the blog here!

First-time Contributor

Deceived...

So I am uninstalling box drive and reinstalling box synch!

First-time Contributor

This is very disappointing to hear that there has still been no mention of this. I am in the final stages of a 2 yr contract of more than 50 users, and this is the most requested feature my staff has. We were promised this feature by our original sales rep, (was "coming soon") and for this to still be in progress 2 years later makes us feel incredibly decieved. I have a very hard time not moving to a tool that already supports this, as Box feels very lacking because of this.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @brandontravis,

Thanks for following up on this again, and as you can see by the thread, definitely this has been a long time coming. 

A bit of an update. Currently we have a Box Drive Mark for Offline beta happening right now with already our 2 waves of customers testing out the ability to have select folders available on their selected device. Currently we're getting feedback and hearing new use cases, so that's why we haven't made an official announcement as of now.

If you're interested in joining this beta, I would recommend you to contact your Box representative (CSM, sales rep) to start this conversation! Appreciate your interest and we will announce when we complete the beta period and start our launch of this desired feature soon.

First-time Contributor

I've chatted with support and they state that the mark for offline feature isn't available in beta yet.  Who do I contact to become part of this beta group?

Community Manager

Hi @pputney,

You'll want to contact your Box CSM or account executive to nominate you for the Box Drive Offline Beta program! 

Occasional Contributor

We have been using Box on PC's for years.  I am about to set up an organization that uses Macs.  Are the "mark offline" features also coming for Macs as well as PC's?

Timeline?

Hi @Eric,

Thanks for your post in the community!

Yes, the Mark for offline access will be available for both Windows and Mac users, though at this time we do not have a time frame as to when this will be made available for everyone as it's still on Beta testing.

And as shared by @Howard here, if you are interested to join the the Box Drive Offline Beta program, you may want to reach out to your CSM or account executive.

Thanks for following up on this, and let me know if you have further questions!

Occasional Contributor

Are there any updates on the availability of Box Drive Mark for Offline?

Contributor

Box drive Mark for Office release was announced for release the end of this month.  Great news!  What I am curious about is how this feature works.   Does it allow users to set sync of files/folders on the drive client or is this like Box Sync where this is set in the Web UI? 

Thanks

Community Manager

Hi @ITIOps,

Thanks for your response and yes, the details are out Smiley Wink Box Drive is coming at the end of this month!

The mark for offline feature will be a little different as you will select which folder you want to be marked for offline, right clicking on the folder with an additional context menu (similar to right clicking and grabbing the shared link). 

Without giving away too many spoilers, you will see a green check to indicate which folder is "synced" down (like the old days) and a blue cloud icon to indicate which ones are stored on your Box account online. 

We know this has been a long awaited feature and we're excited to bring this to you soon. Stay tuned and thanks @ITIOps!

Contributor

Ok, it is here and it seems to work as advertised.  One thing that I've seen requested is the ability to change the location of Box Drive.  Users have space restricted "C" drives and large secondary drives where they would prefer to store these sync'd folders and files.  Any chance that is on the roadmap for Box Drive?

Tags (1)
Community Manager

Hey @ITIOps,

Glad you're enjoying the new Box Drive experience. 

Regarding the feedback, yes that's been shared with the product team already and is something they're planning in their roadmap. We understand the use cases of more space on other drives, location use for Excel, etc. but if you have any other contributions to this idea, you can submit a case with our team to share!

Thanks and appreciate the feedback with Box Drive!

First-time Contributor

This remains useless until its possible to choose where the offline files are stored

First-time Contributor

Re: Box Drive Mark for Offline

After hearing that this much awaited new feature was released end of October 2018 I decided to make the switch from Box Sync to Box Drive. However after installing Box Drive it appears I don't have the 'Make Available Offline' feature, is it possible knowing why this is the case and ensuring a get this feature?

Appreciate any help.

Contributor

Re: Box Drive Mark for Offline

@BeauMackenzie,

1)  If you have an enterprise account make sure your admins have enabled it in the Enterprise Settings/Apps tab.

2)  Check your version of Box Drive to be sure it is 2.0.  If you downloaded it off the Box Site then it should be.

3)  Check this KB about uninstalling Box Sync: https://community.box.com/t5/Using-Box-Sync/Uninstalling-Box-Sync/ta-p/51105.  If there is something left it may be causing issues.

4)  If all that is as it should be, you might open a ticket with Box Support. 

I had drive 2.0 installed when they released it ahead of the official October release and I had to reinstall Box Drive to get it to show up.