Box DRIVE Install Location

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
New Contributor

Box DRIVE Install Location

Box DRIVE - Please allow us to CHANGE the Install Location of Box DRIVE.

Box Drive looks like it will be a perfect solution for us, once we are able to modify what the default install directory is.
(I read a comment from late June that this is impossible while it's still in Beta. Hopefully this feature is on the request list)
Thanks!

32 REPLIES 32
Box Certified Professional

Re: Box DRIVE Install Location

@abarkley,

Can you say more about what you are trying to do or what obstacle you have encountered? Box Drive is an application and installs where you install all applications. On a Mac, for example, there is only place to install applications. I believe the same is true on Windows.

With Box Drive there is no local folder like there is with Box Sync. If there were, I could see wanting to change installation location, but with Drive there isn't. It is treated as a drive. On a Mac it is like any other mounted network drive and on Windows it behaves like a local drive. Windows puts it where it puts local drives.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU,

Sure!  

On Windows, you can install applications wherever, typically.  Useful if you have multiple drives.
Box Drive (Just labeled "Box" as a program) installs to C:\Program Files\Box\Box\ by default. This can not be changed with their Box installer, for whatever reason.

When installed, it also created a "Box" Folder in C:\Users\<USER>\Box, again, which can not be changed. 
That Box folder is where everything is displayed.

Now, initially, that folder is small, if not of size 0 since it's only displaying what is stored in the cloud.  However, if I start moving files to that drive to work on them (from my usual working area), it takes up space on my C Drive. I tested that this morning.

This causes 2 issues:
1) The C: drive is not large enough for all the files.
2) We use a separate, encrypted drive for our work, so the end solution would preferably be on the encrypted drive. (Box Sync worked great on it...up until a few hundred Gigs of files caused it to get permanently stuck on "Scanning").

Thanks for the reply!

@abarkley,

What you are seeing is the Box Drive cache folder. By default the cache size is 25GB but it will go no larger than 50% of the user's available local disk space. This document gives helpful information, including how to limit the size of the cache folder. I've been using Drive for about 8 months now and have not had any issues that impact the performance of my machine. I did, however, have a faculty member testing Drive who had an issue. He tried to upload a 100GB file in Drive. Since that far exceeded our Max file size there were some training issues, but it also caused Box Drive to blow up a bit on him. After we deleted the cache folder contents we got him back up and running just fine. FWIW, we require most machines to have encrypted disks anyway though we would still like to see the local cache folder encrypted. The Drive team has this on their feature request list.

Hopefully that provides some assistance. 

Regards,

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU,

Ooohhhh, now that's interesting! 

It still wouldn't work for a few members of the team (myself included), but *would* work for several others, they'll be quite pleased when I tell them!  

Hopefully one of the feature requests is the ability to move the location of the cache folder so we can get everyone involved.

Thanks for the extremely helpful feedback!

Happy to help.

Bob

Indiana University
First-time Contributor

This issue is not fixed at all. We need to be able to install Box Drive on an other location than C: Drive for Windows or this tool is useless to Windows users

Occasional Contributor

We also want to change the default location. We want it on the shared folder on the Mac side as a way to get around broken links in InDesign that use user specific names in the file path that breaks the links. If everyone used Macintosh HD for their hard drive, and had their box drive use shared, we'd have consistent absolute paths across multiple users. 

New Contributor

in a laptop world of ssd and hd's i would like my box drive on my laptop on the larger HD, but it is not an option on the setup, how would I change where my files are stored on my laptop

Occasional Contributor

OK, so this is odd. We changed nothing on our Box install from this morning, but the broken link issue resolved itself. This morning, some machines that had Box Drive installed would write the path in InDesign starting with the hard drive name and user specific folder. (Bad, because that breaks links due to an absolute file path being specific to that user.) These same machines not a few hours later are now writing the path to images to start with BOX (mounted server name) and then writes the rest of the path. (GOOD, as anyone with Box drive can now open the file.) 

We just installed Box Drive today, is there something that happens in the background that would've caused this change? Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad it's working now, but should the issue rise again, I want to make sure we have a way to troubleshoot it. Thanks!

New Contributor

DECISION-MAKERS AT BOX -- THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT MUST BE RECTIFIED IF THE LEGAL MARKET IS OF ANY CONCERN TO BOX  -- HERE IS WHY!

I run a law office that uses a number of database type programs, such as Lexus Nexus Case Map, that have fields that link to PDF documents.  Multiple users work on these databases.The only way that these programs will work using Box Drive is if the path to Box is c:\box\*.*.  Otherwise, when one user works on box creating links to "c:\user\jane\box\*.*", the next user, whose path is "c:\user\joe\box\*.*" cannot open the document referenced by the leak link, even though the document is in their box drive.  Even if such programs are not used by multiple users, anyone who has to use a notebook computer outside the office (virtually every lawyer who ever has to appear in court) cannot use the links that they have created two documents on their notebook computer unless The username on both their desktop and notebook are identical.  Allowing users to simply make box a subdirectory of the root directory would solve this problem.  Is this too much to ask?

New Contributor

I love this idea of being able to change the install/cache location not because of file size limitations, but to limit writes on the SSDs in our corporate machines - We are constantly accessing large PDF files that will no doubt take a toll on the lifespan of our hardware. Being able to change the cache location to a HDD and offload the write overhead to something more resilient would be very nice.

New Contributor

Wow. This is just terrible software engineering. can't change the installation location on Mac either and the main hard drive cannot afford to store all my files. 

you guys need to fix this or people are going to leave. 

New Contributor

To put it in context, Google Drive and dropbox do not have this restricting feature. Just saying

First-time Contributor

I still cannot install Box DRIVE into another location, my C drive is already full so I need to install it into D drive in my laptop, I already reinstall Box driver for more than 3 times but I still cannot found where I can select custom location..  

Hi @fadzilah1972,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Changing Box Drive's default location is currently a known limitation when using Box Drive so this is currently not possible. See the last bullet point in this community article.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

New Contributor

This used to be an option! I yearly clean-install Windows on my PC, and have always been able to select a new location for my Box Sync files. Now the option is removed?!?

It is crazy that there is no option, and now means I cannot use Box Sync until this error is fixed.

(I, like the majority of people now, have 2 hard drives, C drive is my SSD and another HDD for storage)

Community Manager

Hi @Vyper,

Thanks for your post!

This discussion is about the location of the Box Drive install folder – the option for changing the Box Sync location has not changed. For reference, see this KB article: Modifying the Location of the Box Sync Folder

Wow, a yearly clean install of Windows? You are a braver soul than I. Good luck to you and hope this helps!

-Scott

New Contributor

Sorry, that article is for Mac, not Windows. The Windows installer gives no option to change Install Location.

Community Manager

Hi @Vyper,

The KB article in my last post applies to both Windows and Mac versions of Box Sync, so you should be able to change the folder location in both. The screenshots in the article may be from a Mac version, but they are essentially the same – here's the Windows version screen for reference:

1.PNG

If you aren't seeing that "Customize Folder Settings" at the bottom or that option doesn't work for you, it could be that the folder was set previously. You should make sure to uninstall Box Sync completely and reinstall to see if you can change it. If you are an admin and comfortable with changing registry keys, you can refer to the instructions for admins for installing Box Sync to see which registry keys are used to designate the Box Sync folder.

Granted with a fresh Windows install those steps shouldn't be necessary, but it can depend on the process you use to install Windows (some image or OEM restoration methods may already have those configuration settings baked into the disk image, for example).

If you still can't change the location, or you are not the admin and/or you are not comfortable manipulating registry keys on your own, I'd recommend opening a support case to resolve, as this is not expected behavior.

First-time Contributor

Changing Box Drive's default location is currently a known limitation when using Box Drive so this is currently not possible. See the last bullet point in this community article.

This was allegedly a feature that was in beta, but that was two years ago and this is still a huge limitation.  

With Sync or Dropbox or Google, I can go home at a decent hour and pick up where I left off after the kids are in bed, or work over the weekend if needed.  As it is now, Drive is designed to not work without lots of tedious mucking about with scene paths and finding files every evening (which will have to be re-corrected when I get back in the office the next day).  Frankly, even working on a flash drive is a much more productive solution than Drive.  Sync could be fantastic if it wasn't also flaky, occasionally failing to update files.

First-time Contributor

This is ridiculas. Why can't I change the Box Drive to my D drive which is a 1TB instead of my C? This is really awful support

First-time Contributor

Unbelievable. It's like there is somebody in your company that constantly sabotages your efforts. Here, let me put this in simple terms: TO BE A DROPBOX COMPETITOR YOU MUST OFFER THE SAME OPTIONS AS DROPBOX (and preferably more).

First, you come up with Box Sync, which is an artificially crippled file-syncing option, then they you come up with Box... that doesn't allow you to switch the Box location from your small SSD C: drive to your enormous regular hard drive - that every other service has no problems doing. Why? Why on earth would you do that? Who keeps making these decisions?  "Let's not make it too easy for them". 

First-time Contributor

This does not help.  I don't want Box to install on my C drive.  What are you not getting about this?  

New Contributor

That's it! I had enough! I am moving to DROPBOX

New Contributor

Dear Box.com - Please fix this.  Give us the option to install the Box Drive folder wherever we'd like.  Like others who have posted - 

A) Often the C: drive is smaller than a secondary HDD on the system.  We want to relocate the Box Drive folder to the largest drive.

B)  Often the performance of HDDs in the system.  Users may want to use a faster or slower drive depending on their preference.

C) There are application integration, sharing, data backup, encryption, and other reasons why you may not want the folder to be in the default path - C:\users\...

D) Dropbox and Google both support this option.

E) I can't think of an advantage that forcing it to the C: drive has that outweighs the above.

F) Box Sync has this ability, it doesn't make sense to deprecate a useful feature when rolling out a new product.

Uninstalling Box Drive and reinstalling Sync.... ugh.

New Contributor

This is not a solution. 

Your statement "Box Drive there is no local folder" is simply not accurate.

Community Manager

Hi @blucasTCU and @abarkley and others on this thread,

In case you haven't been subscribed to the Product Central, we recently made an announcement configuring the Box Drive location upon installing is now coming soon in the next Box Drive version update!

Stay tuned for more updates but appreciate everyone for your feedback and patience for this Box Drive feature!

First-time Contributor

Hi there, 

Just checking - did you ever find out what had  shifted to resolve the filepath isssue?  Or, really, the question is, did it stay resolved? I am  about to start working collaboratively on premierepro files (previously have been working on my own) and  am hoping this issue  won't come up for me.  Added complication, we will  have  me on Windows and collaborator on Mac. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Anand

New Contributor

I was thinking to move from dropbox to box.

But after i see this problem i decided to wait.

This is nonsense.

Tags (1)