Synced folder size is different to folder size on server

New Contributor

Synced folder size is different to folder size on server

Hi All, 

I've (finally, and with quite a few difficulties) managed to sync a pretty large shard folder to my desktop (on the server it is 246GB in size). However, the folder on my desktop seems to be 60GB smaller than the one on the server, even though it says everything has synced. There are no (more) file name issues, file type issues etc.

Why is the folder size is so much smaller when synced? Apparently there are no error files so shouldn't it be 246GB? Also for some reason, there actually seem to be more files in the synced folder than there are in the folder online, even though the folder size is 60GB smaller?!

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

4 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: Synced folder size is different to folder size on server

@Charlotte92,

All file systems register storage a slightly different way but that is a pretty big disparity. 

I'm curious, if this is a desktop computer, why are you using Box Sync? It sounds like you just used up over 200GB of disk space on your computer needlessly. If your goal is to interact with Box from your desktop through the traditional mapped folder paradigm you should use Box Drive instead of Box Sync. Not only will Drive not waste all that local disk space, but it will show all of your Box content. Sync will only show those folders you have chosen to sync. 

With minor exception Sync is intended to be used for content you need offline or perhaps files you interact with everyday. Years ago Sync had a file limit. I once had a user complain about the limit saying that he needed to sync some 300K files from his previous job. Needless to say, they did not fall into the "frequent access" category.

The overwhelming majority of problems with Sync that people post to this forum have at their root, over/misuse of Sync. There is a reason why Sync does nothing upon installation and why you can sync at the subfolder level. It is meant to be for limited/target use, not as familiar, "local folder" access to all your Box content. I think you'd be a happier Box user with Drive.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
New Contributor

Hi Bob, 

Thanks for the reply!

The company I'm working for have requested that we transfer everything we have on box to an external hard drive, which is why I'm having to use sync. The job we're working on is coming to an end, and as of next week no one in my team will be on the payroll any more, so I needed a quick way to sync all of our files at once, rather than doing it folder by folder.

We have some pretty large files - lots of ai, psd or dwg files. I wonder if this could have something to do with the discrepancy between the file sizes?  

Mainly I just want to be reassured that important files will not have gone missing through the syncing process. Box is telling me there are no files with errors, and that everything is synced, so everything in theory should be fine? Just worried by such a large file size difference.

Thanks,

Charlotte 

@Charlotte92,

Ah, OK. That's a different story. Personally I would have advised using FTPS if you were just backing up a lot of content. 

You might want to check the Box Sync error logs to see if it reports anything it did not bring down. There are some file types it will not Sync. 

Best of luck,

Bob

Indiana University

@Charlotte92,

This FAQ might be helpful to you https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Sync-Troubleshooting/Box-Sync-Frequently-Asked-Questions/ta-p/83.

Best,

Bob

Indiana University
Users online (320)