Scanning Documents into Box

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Scanning Documents into Box

How do we scan documents from a printer directly to Box Folders?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Box Employee

Re: Scanning Documents into Box

@heybrill - Great question! Box's 'Upload via Email' feature could come in handy here. 'Upload via email' creates a unique email address for any folder in Box. Then, any attachments included in emails sent to that email address will be automatically uploaded to that Box folder. I've seen customers use this feature with their office printers/scanners by generating the unique email address(es) for specific team 'Scan Uploads' folders in Box, then simply save those email addresses to the printer/scanner's address book, allowing your employees to simply choose 'send to Box' when using the scanner. 

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

so can you use the email that it gives you for that folder from your scanner too, so you can scan directly from there or do you have to send it via your personal email? 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

so can you use the email that it gives you for that folder from your scanner too, so you can scan directly from there or do you have to send it via your personal email? 

Highlighted
Box Certified Professional

@mankinland,

Each folder in Box will generate a unique email address when you enable email-to-folder. If your scanner gives you the option to scan to email you would enter that unique address then as the intended recipient.

If you are doing this all the time and you have several designated folders you are putting things in you could save those addresses in your scanner's address book.

There are also other ways to do this from a scanner. Some will allow you to connect to a drive via WebDAV. You can then navigate to the folder where you want to save the scan. If it's really a systematic process you may want to write something to the Box API to handle it.

The best answer for you depends on your use case.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I made a folder, and mutiple people will be emailing pdf to this folder, I got the email address just nothing has showed up there yet, I also sent it to myself about 20 min later and i got it. we thought maybe it would be faster then trying to upload from our documents. 

Highlighted

@mankinland,

So you turned on email to folder, got the address, saved the changes and sent a test file to the address, copying yourself? You received the CC to yourself, but the file has not shown up in Box. Did you get a response from Box saying the document had been received?

I just tested this. It was less than 30 sec before I got the "Success! Your email attachment was uploaded to Box..." email.

If I were troubleshooting the first thing I would do is go back into the folder settings to make sure the change was saved and it is still showing the email address. If it is, I'd try another test. If that test also fails I would contact Box Support via the Submit a Case widget in the righthand column of this page.

Bob

Indiana University
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I only sent it from the scanner to the box email. And it wasn’t showing up so I scanned it to my personal, got it right away, then forwarded it from my email to box. I got a confirmation a few minutes later that it was received by box. The one directly from the scanner still hasn’t shown up. Thank You!

Highlighted

This sounds like an issue with the scanner. In my organization they don't allow the scanner to send to any email outside the organization. That could be what's going on there.

Bob

Indiana University
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ok thank you so much for your time. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

When you scan to box is the transmission encrypted?

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @dringhof,

Thank you for posting in Box's Community Forum!

Please see more details on Box encryption policies at the following links:

See an excerpt from one of the above links below:

Security for Upload by Email:

Box's mail servers accept TLS encryption for email uploads. Box's Incoming mail servers used for the "Upload by Email" feature support opportunistic TLS. This means that when a customer's mail server connects to Box to relay an email, Box's mail servers will advertise that TLS encryption is available and the customers' mail server can choose to use it. If a customer's mail server is configured to use TLS encryption, all email uploads will be encrypted in transit.

Another way to look at this is that once a file enters Box's system, it will be uploaded via TLS using our API. If you want the email itself (for "Upload by Email") to be encrypted, the customer will need to put an email rule in place that ensures all email traffic to box.com is sent via TLS. Note: If an email originates from outside of Box (other 3rd party email clients), Box is unable to provide encryption prior to the content entering Box.

Best,

James - Box Support

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

You can also use a document capture product like Ephesoft.  It can monitor a "hot folder", and then auto-classify and extract data.  It then custom names the file and populates Box metadata.  You can read more on their solutions page.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Where do you find the instructions to link this directly to box?

Highlighted

@Eligabiff,

How are you planning to scan to Box? If it is by email, then see https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Uploading-and-Downloading-Files-and-Folders/.... There are also scanners that might use FTP (see https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Using-Box-with-FTP/ta-p/26050/jump-to/first-...), though that would be tougher in a multi-user environment. Finally, some may also allow you to connect via API using the Upload File method. See https://developer.box.com/v2.0/reference for that reference.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We are a small office and each desk has their own Fujitsu Scanner (all but one Twain compliant).  Earlier in this thread, someone indicated those scanners might allow for direct scanning.  

Currently, we use box sync, which would appear to still be the fastest way to get documents into Box because there is not a way to email directly from the scanner.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

We are a small office and each desk has their own Fujitsu Scanner (all but one Twain compliant).  Earlier in this thread, someone indicated those scanners might allow for direct scanning.  

Currently, we use box sync, which would appear to still be the fastest way to get documents into Box because there is not a way to email directly from the scanner.

Tags (1)
Highlighted

@Eligabiff,

Fair point. If they are desktop machines I'd recommend Box Drive over Box Sync. There are few reasons to run Sync on an always-connected computer.

As for connecting directly, that would be specific to the capabilities of the scanner. If they are internet enabled and can connect to cloud storage then you'd have a shot. If not, I'd just go with Box Drive. It's how I save screen captures directly to Box and that's a rough equivalent.

Bob

Indiana University
Highlighted
New Contributor

Please see Scantobox, a Box add on that allows you to capture content directly to the desired Box folder from any Twain/Isis scanner.