Is there a way to print or export a list of folders/files?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Is there a way to print or export a list of folders/files?

When you are in a folder in BOX, is there a way to print or export a list of the files within the folder? Also, is there a way to print a list of folders?

I don't want to export the actual folders/files...only a table of contents per se.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Re: Is there a way to print or export a list of folders/files?

I would really like to know too.  I'm a University of Illinois participant.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I found if you select ctrl + print when you are at your table of contents, you are given the option to print the page.  

Highlighted
New Contributor

Yes but pressing CTRL + P does not seem to print a complete list if/when there are a lot of items in the folder.   

I am finding that page 1 prints out correctly but after that the list becomes truncated and some of the items are missing?

It seems printing a list of contents should be a simple request but at the moment the only way I can ensure I have a list of the full folder content is to enlarge the visible page using F11, screenshot, scroll down and repeat which is labour intensive, time consuming and means I end up with a many more hard copy pages than would be necessary if the whole content list printed correctly from the CTRL + P command.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

were you ever able to find a way to do this?  I agree with you - seems is should be possible to print a table of contents for a folder.

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @AlisonH,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

If you are the admin of your Box account or a co-admin with the permission to run reports, you can run a Folder tree report which will have the list and details of the folders/files your company or a specific user owns.

Your can follow the steps here: 

1. Go to the Admin Console > Reports 
  2. Select Folders and Files 
  3. The admin can enter the User's name
  4. They can also select a specific folder to filter by clicking the pencil icon.
  5. Click Export 
  6. The report will be available on the Admin's "Box Reports" folder

More information can be found on our help article for Running Reports.

Hope this helps! Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Can you tell your programmers to allow this function for individual users? If a user has access to content/files/folders, they should be able to print a list of folders/subfolders/files within a folder. If there are multiple-to-dozens or more people accessing BOX within a company, it is ridiculous that each person must go to the Administrator to print a list. A list does not even contain the content of each file, a simple list of names of files/folders would suffice!

Highlighted
New Contributor

It's ridiculous not to able to do this simple thing. So, I need to download everything to Windows so I can use the file tree function?  That's crazy.

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @kmv_upenn

One must have Admin privileges to run a report on the admin console to generate the a File and Folder tree report. Though, currently not accessible for individual users, you can always file a feature request to have this ability made available for regular users.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your time in the Community and appreciate your help!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. This is not the first time people have complained
about this. I don't know how to file a feature request but I am sure it
has already been requested by others (which you can see by checking the
threads). If it hasn't, that means other people don't know how to file
feature requests either, so perhaps you could do so on behalf of the
community.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

One possible way to accomplish this:

If you access your folder via Box Drive, you can then use any number of tools on your native OS to print the list of files and folders, no downloading necessary.

For example, in MacOS, open Terminal then enter the following commands after connecting to Box via Box Drive:

cd ~/Box

find . > ~/Desktop/Box_file_list.txt

That'll output a list of all the files and folders you have access to in Box into a file called "Box_file_list.txt" on your Desktop.

Hope that helps,

Ian

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hey @iancrew

Great post! Hope other users find this information handy.

@kmv_upenn I can definitely pass along your feedback to our Product team. For your reference, if you are interested to submit a feature request, you can do this by submitting a ticket to Box User Service using this link.

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using Box!

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

this is ridiculous that I cannot run a report of a folder/file names that I own/created

has this not been solved as yet?

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @tms1234

I understand your frustration about this feature, however as mentioned here, you need to have admin privileges to be able to run a report of your folders/files snapshot.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. If you would like to submit a direct feedback, we have recently launched a new way to submit product feature request directly to our product team: Box Pulse

Learn more about Box Pulse and how works, and please submit your suggestion and feedback to help us improve!

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.