Export Collaborator list onto a file

Highlighted
Contributor

Export Collaborator list onto a file

Is there are a way to get the list of collaborators on a folder onto a file (XLSX or CSV)?  Auditors are asking for current memberships of key folders in this round of SOX compliance investigation.  For Active Directory, we've got Powershell commands which can do this pretty well.  The collaborations list indicates what's been added, the Files and Folders list is too cumbersome.  At the moment, the list extraction is primitive (ie: copy paste each section of the dialog box onto a Word doc and reformat or use pen and paper).  I have just over 40 folders to do this for, which has to be repeated every quarter, for each of our global offices (roughly 30, in total).  This is expected to grow in the coming years as Box is adopted across the corporation.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Export Collaborator list onto a file

Hi, 

Actually there are 2 ways: 

1. If users are invited trough a group, you can export the reports with the group permissions
  2. using the API and the Get_collabs documented here: https://box-content.readme.io/reference#get-collabs

Regards, 

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks Mathieu

1. Our folders are currently not arranged via a group.  We're new to Box, and this will be the preferred method for administration and control as our existing content gets uploaded.  In the meantime, we'll have to run regular reports to keep this in check.

2. The syntax looks like it's searching for changes made to the object, not necessarily the current state.  I'll play around with it to see if I can get the info I need.

Group reports looks like a winner though.  It'll take some time to establish, but it'll worth it in the end.

Cheers

Ron

Highlighted
New Contributor

3 years later and we still don't have an easy way to accomplish this?  It should not be that difficult.  Box please give us the capability to export as xlsx or csv file. 

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @Lenz-IBM,

Thanks for your post in the Community!

Box Admins has the ability to Run a report that will create a folder on your Box account and export as excel file including user's activity and external collaborations. Check out this article for more info:

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@katrinaa  While it is possible to get this information from the collaboration report in the admin console, it does take some work.  That report is 455K+ lines long, in Excel, for us (granted, we are on the huge end of all Box customers).  I can then use Excel magic to do a multi-level sort, remove duplicates, remove extraneous columns that I don't need.  What @Lenz-IBM needs though is just the list from one folder; that Excel business is alot of overhead to ask.  What would be great is a button similar to what was rolled out for Access Stats--click button, get an Excel sheet with just the collaborators and permission levels of that one folder.

--Kurt Baker

Penn State University

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Kurt, you are absolutely correct, providing the "Create Report" button like what was added for Access Stats would be perfect.

I have tried to use the tools/suggestions that have been provided via other threads and they just won't work for me because our IBM-Administrator has disabled the necessary functions for us mere users, so I always get that as the error message. 

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

This feature is needed to manage a large number of collaborators for confidential information with a constant change in subscribers,

The only way to do it now is to use a screen shot saver (like Hypersnap) and paste the image into OneNote and then copy as text to Excel. Then you have to correct typos before the data is usable.

I know the collaborator data is readily available as I think it is produced on the fly when browsing the folder. It just needs to be available for download as well as display.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

I have similar question about exporting collaborator details into an excel. All solutions I checked in communities mention that we need to be Admin access. We use Box as a tool given by our company and max level we can get is Owner of a folder and I am the owner of such folder. So with this context how we can get the exported list of collaborators. Wonder Box tool team not providing such straightforward requirement. Auditors need to see the list of collaborators as and when they need to ensure only authorized members are accessing the folder.  Please help.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Back in 2018 someone asked why this thread is still an issue "after 3 years" -- now it's been *5* years!

Box reports are woefully inadequate when it comes to answering BASIC questions about users -- managed or external collaborators.  As one previous comment noted above, we can get ridiculously detailed reports with all kinds of actions reported, but what *I* want, and most of the people on this thread, is simply a way to get a list of who's in the system and what they have access to, for basic compliance and reporting.

As the admin for a modest presence (a job that's expected to take very little of my time), I'd like a simple list in Excel or CSV format of all my managed users and all of the external users.  It would be helpful to know who invited each user, and the top level folder(s) they're in.

I delegate management of the collaborators to folder owners, and twice a year I ask them (as part of our cybersecurity process) to review all the people in any part of their folder tree to see if they all still need access.  It would help if they could get a simple list of participants for their whole folder tree, or if I could export one to send to them.

This basic management of users and access is far more important than pretty much any of the existing canned reports that Box offers, and it can't be that hard for Box to implement.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Incredibly sad that they can't fix this major flaw! Owners and Co owners need better access to collaborator info.