Can't change primary email

SOLVED
Go to solution
Occasional Visitor

Can't change primary email

Hello

I'm having an issue trying to change my primary email to an email that has already been deactivated on another account?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx

15 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Can't change primary email

Hi Mychaiel,

Thank you for posting in Box Forum!

Just to confirm, did you follow the instructions in this link to change your email address? I've included an excerpt from the link below.

How do I change my primary email address?

1. Sign into your Box account
  2. Click your name in the top right corner 
  3. Click "Account settings" from the pulldown menu
  4. From the "Account" tab, scroll down to "Login and Email Addresses"
  5. Click "Add more emails"
  6. Add new email address and click "Save"
  7. Confirm the alias via the email confirmation that will be sent (this step has to be done or else user can not mark as primary and it will not be recognized as an alias)
  8. Go back to account settings and hover over alias and mark it for primary
  9. You will be prompted to enter their password underneath the alias to validate this change

If you have SSO enabled, you will need to make sure you add the new email address as an alias in your AD.

If you continue to experience issues with changing your primary email address, please submit a ticket and an agent will be able to provide additional information.

If you submit a ticket please provide the following information:

- Email of the user who was deactivated.

- Date range of when they were deactivated.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

James

Occasional Visitor

Hi James,

I am also having problems changing my primary email. When I follow the instruction at #3 I see "My settings." When I click on that I don't see an "Account" tab, but rather an "Email" tab that does not give me an option to add an email.

Thanks,

Lance

I am also having an issue with changing my primary email. I am able to add an email but not able to make it my primary email. 

Visitor

Hi,

I have almost the same problem. I want to add a new email address but when I click save, it is written that "this email address is already connected to a box account".

But If I try to log in with my new email address and click "new password" then I get the message "this email address is not connected to a box account"

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me?

Frequent Visitor

Hey,
I'm trying to change the primary mail adress, too but after verifying the new adress there still is the info that I have to verify the new mail adress. I urgently need a new primary mail-ad because the old one will soon be deactivated.
Please, could someone help me. Thanks in advance!

New Contributor

Hello,

I am experiencing this issue as well. I deactivated an account months ago as I no longer needed it, and now I want to use the email address from that account on my primary box.com account but when I try to add a new email the system is telling me the address is already associated with another box.com account. Then, when I try to sign in using the former address, box tells me the account is deactivated (which is correct). Why can't I change the email address on my primary box account to an email address from an account that has been deactivated?  Can someone help?

New Contributor

Hi James, wondering if you can help me on this topic as well. I sent a message via the forums a few days ago but haven't heard anything. 

Long story short: I used to have two Box.com accounts. One was associated with the email address ***@example.com and the other with ***@example.com.  I deactived the gmail account several months ago, and am now interested in using that email address with my active account associated with the mail.com address. The system tells me I can't b/c the gmail address is associated with another box.com account. 

Can you help? Thanks! 

Box Employee

@ShaunD, This issue would best be resolved with the help of the User Services organization. Please submit a case directly to them. 

Regular Visitor

Sorry but I tried this and I never see the option for set as primary the new e mail I added. 

Does this answer really solved the problem to someone?

F.

New Contributor

One of my users added an email and followed all steps to verify but she cannot make the email she added, the primary one, which she needs to do. I am the admin but don't believe I have blocked this ability and if I did, how do I change the setting?

Regular Visitor

In my case my administrator had removed the possibility of users in our instance from changing our primary email addresses. Maybe contact your admin to check the same in yours? Hope it helps! It was a setting in the "Security" tab of the admin console that she had to untick.

Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I want to change my primary email but I don't have the option to mark 'primary' next to the secondary email address.

Best regards,

Daniel

Hi @dhurtado,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

I agree to @joetest's reply. It has something that your Admin has restricted on your account. So reaching out to your admin for this kind of issue would help!

Be sure to read our guidelinesSubscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Box Certified Professional

@dhurtado,

It is likely that your Box Admin has turned that off for users in your company/enterprise. We do that in my instance. Currently for us, a user has to contact us and we do it for them. We are preparing to do it programmatically to align with what their primary is for the organization. The bottom line is that different organizations have their reasons for giving or restricting access to that and you should just contact you Box Admin and ask for their assistance.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
Occasional Visitor

thanks James!