Box Limitations - Total Files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
New Contributor

Box Limitations - Total Files

First, let me say that I’m a long-time Box user and huge supporter of the service.  However, I have a question that I’m trying to get ahead of but can’t find the answer to.  

I have a client trying to migrate to OneDrive Business (since it comes with their Office 365 subscription).  However, we kept running into issues with sharing with the team.  Come to find out they have a 5,000 file limit in their folders that prevents sharing and permissions changes once you hit that.  Their support said we could use Sharepoint and do XYZ, but we would still probably have that issue.  It kind of surprised me, but I’m not a Microsoft fan anyway so I guess it shouldn’t have.

Anyway, looking at Box and I understand the limit is 500,000 files in a folder.  My question is - WHAT THEN?  I can’t seem to find that answer anywhere.

My client is a small, yet well-established law firm with multiple attorneys and team members.  The “clients” folder alone is 137GB that currently has just over 500,000 files and 150,000 folders/subfolders.  Below is a rough idea of their situation.

I’m trying to head off any issues so I’m trying to figure out how to handle this.  Do I split up the "clients" folder into “A-M” and “N-Z”?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Image.png

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Box Limitations - Total Files

Good afternoon @nnepa,

I would say that the three soft limits you have to face here are:

1. A million document limit per user account

2. Fifteen thousand items limit per folder

3. Fifty depth levels inside a folder.

Those soft limits can be surpassed but performance will be impacted when using UI. So, to ensure smooth usage, those limits have to be in mind and encourage searches usage instead of folder browsing.

Regards

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks @LoCortes - I appreciate the response.  

Just so I'm clear about the limitations and how we can plan accordingly...

1) We will have about 15 users.  So is that 15M files we can have?

2) A limit of 15,000 files per folder.  So does that mean this is true?

• Folder A - can have 15,000 files
    • Subfolder 1 - can have 15,000 files
      • Subfolder 1A - can have 15,000 files
      • Subfolder 1B - can have 15,000 files
    • Subfolder 2 - can have 15,000 files

Or does that mean 

• Folder A - can have 15,000 files total
    • Subfolder 1 - contributes to Folder A's total
      • Subfolder 1A -contributes to Folder A's total
      • Subfolder 1B -contributes to Folder A's total
    • Subfolder 2 -contributes to Folder A's total

3) A limit of 50 depth levels inside a folder.  This makes sense.

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @nnepa

To clarify your assumptions:

1. Yes, that is correct. Although the limitation is still per user, meaning 1M files owned by each user and not 15M files owned by a single user.
  2. The first option is true:
    • Folder A - can have 15,000 files
      • Subfolder 1 - can have 15,000 files
        • Subfolder 1A - can have 15,000 files
        • Subfolder 1B - can have 15,000 files
      • Subfolder 2 - can have 15,000 files

Please let us know if that clears things up!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you @alexrm.  Last question - is there a 500,000 "item" limit somewhere?  When I explained the current situation and folder details, they said there shouldn't be a problem with the exception of Folder A, which contains 504,000+ files.  That is why I was wondering whether we needed to split that folder up.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hello @nnepa,

if you have 15 users you can have more than 15M as it's a soft limit but then performance will start being impacted 🙂 probably having 15.100.000 documents won't impact performance but having 30M will do.

On the 15.000 soft limit. I was told that are not 15.000 documents but items. Folders also count. So, if you have 15.000 folders under a folder, that counts against that limit.

To have 500K documents, you will need to distribute them across several folders. Probably, and to simplify, you can have 100 different folders with 5000 documents each. So having a ROOT folder, with folders from 001 to 100, and balance the content across those folders will work for you. Obviously, users won't be able to find content by browsing, but using searches and proper metadata templates.

Thanks

Highlighted
New Contributor

So there is a limit of 15,000 files per folder but Is there a limit to how many folders you can have under one user? Is there a limit to how many subfolders can be created under one folder? 

Thanks

Gene